Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Am I the right "Type" to homeschool my children?
    I am currently a stay at home mother with a 3 year-old daughter and a daughter who is in first grade in the public school system. I really want to try and homeschool, except for one thing, and that one thing is my concern that I would NEVER get a break from my kids. The funny thing is, is that I am a very patient person and I really enjoy being with my children, it's just that I enjoy being with adults as well. So how do homeschool mothers like me, balance that?

I wonder if I am the right "fit." I have a Masters Degree in Counseling so I value education, it's just that I am the "type" of stay-at-home mom that likes to be at home baking, cooking, etc... 1/2 the day, and the other 1/2 of the day I like to get out, visit with friends, go to the library, store, etc... with my daughter. As it stands right now, my 3 year-old daughter goes to pre-school 3 days a week for 3 hours and I really enjoy that time for myself but I can kiss that time good bye, if I were to homeschool!

Please, homeschooling moms, please tell me what you think about what I have written. I would love to know if you ever get time to yourself DURING the DAY and if not, how do you handle that?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate being able to ask this question.

j007
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 02:19 PM
    I am not a homeschooler mom,but I thought you might like these links.

Getting your homeschool organized | TheHomeSchoolMom.com
    Time Management For Homeschool Families | Organized Home

About the breaks you need,maybe the kids could be enrolled in classes,for languages,art,physical activities like karate etc.
    And during those times you will be able to take a break from them and them from you.

Or You could maybe have play/learning day with other parents, where some of you can take a break while the others take the kids on a study outing to a museum,zoo,park,swimming etc.

Oct 26, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Thank you for your response. You really had some great ideas! You made me realize that, "Hey, I'm a college-educated woman and therefore should be able to figure out how I can homeschool and still get some "breaks" every week!":)

Thanks for the insight!

j007
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 02:53 PM
    A pleasure.:)

I had been thinking along the same lines regarding homeschool.But, as I am not the organised type,I will try sending my daughter to school and spend time teaching her the things I could at home.

Wishing you luck!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2007, 02:54 PM
    In many towns and cities there are homeschool associations - parents who have made the decision to home school their children. They all get together on a regular basis for outings, phy ed, support, play, etc. They partnership or co-op the "babysitting" in some of the associations. There is no rule that says you cannot hire someone to come in on a weekly basis to "spell" you a bit from your routine. Take yourself out for a few hours a week, just to get away. Once you meet some other home school moms and dads, you will see how they all get their life in order and still keep their sanity. You do not have to do this alone. Good luck to you.

Oct 28, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Thanks for the great suggestions!
    j007
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 12:08 PM
    A lot of the things you do already can be part of homeschooling too. Have your children help with baking and cooking. There's lots of counting, measuring, recipe halving or doubling, food handling going on. I used to set my smallest child on the countertop next to the mixing bowl and have him help crack eggs, measure sugar, etc. Learning about sharing, learning how to listen, learning how to correctly participate, learning how to take turns all are part of school too. Library visits and visits to area nature or history sites (your library can tell you which are close by) will also work into your curriculum.

If I could raise my sons again, I would definitely homeschool them.

The best part of homeschooling seems to be that a child (and "teacher") aren't bound to and limited by a room and a desk. The entire world is their classroom.

WG, librarian with a master's in counseling psych, and a former teacher

Oct 28, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Dear Wondergirl,

Thanks for such an insightful answer to my question. You said that "you would homeschool, if your boys were young again." Did you homeschool or did you mean that you would have, looking back on it now? If you didn't homeschool, what makes you say that you would have? I would like your "hindsight :) wisdom."

Thanks,
    j007
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by j007
    Dear Wondergirl,

Thanks for such an insightful answer to my question. You said that "you would homeschool, if your boys were young again." Did you homeschool or did you mean that you would have, looking back on it now? If you didn't homeschool, what makes you say that you would have? I would like your "hindsight :) wisdom."

Thanks,
    j007
    I said "if I could raise my sons again" meaning "if I had a second chance to raise them." I didn't homeschool because that was not an option nor even a possibility during the 1970s when they were born.

Today there are curriculum-building helps in homeschooling magazines and in books about homeschooling. There are homeschooling parent groups and parent support systems in place. Even the schools have gotten into the mix by opening to homeschooled students the ability to participate in after-school activities, organizations, and sports. It has become a very valid and quite slick operation in that parents no longer are left clueless about how to homeschool properly and effectively. State guidelines are clearer and the helps are better organized. There's lots more imagination and creativity possible now than when homeschooling first became popular.

If I remember correctly, recent national spelling bee winners were homeschooled. I know from working in a public library that homeschooled students are well thought of by colleges. Their entrance essays tend to be more interesting and fun to read, and their homeschooling experiences are broader than what a brick-and-mortar school can give them.

If you need ideas on finding resources or if you want more support, please contact me or post here, since others will relish responding to you.

Oct 30, 2007, 07:11 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Your answer was very thought provoking and perhaps I will e-mail you with ideas for utizlizing resources made available to "homeschoolers," once I begin.

j007

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

70s or 80s "Mouse Trap"-type game [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone remember a game similar to Mouse Trap where you set a marble rolling to start contraptions. It was a circus theme where one circus member flipped, two people on opposite ends of a ladder twirled down a pole, and a pendelum swung causing another circus member to fly across the board and...

Seeking Holistic Type Cat Food for"Calcium Oxalate Stones in Bladder"(had surgery) [ 9 Answers ]

My 6 yr. old male, indoor, rescued cat Ginger recently had surgery where they removed several calcium oxalate stones from the bladder. Also, in analysis (at another Vet's Hospital) they found struvites. Complicated story as he was taken out of that hospital as my poor kitty was suffering for...

Seeking Easy Natural Japanese-"type" Dressing Containing... [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to try and do an easy NATURAL Japanese-"type" dressing which I could use for i.e.salads or noodles, and which might include these type of ingredients: Soy Sauce (or Tamari Sauce) Ginger, Sesame Seeds, Rice Vinegar and Garlic. Any suggestions, ideas? Thanks!:)

View more questions Search