Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgek88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Garage door does not close
    The door moves down a few inches and stops. If I pull it manually and press the remote it does close. There is no problem opening it with the remote. The sensors are aligned.
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Sounds like the automatic door is sensing too much resistance when it is closing. Have the springs been replaced recently or any other adjustments done? There is usually a set of control knobs on the back side of the unit that adjust the sensitivty of the unit. Locate these switches and adjust to be less sensitive. Do not confuse these with any switches that alter the distance the door travels up and down.
    ct440rod Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by georgek88
    The door moves down a few inches and stops. If I pull it manually and press the remote it does close. There is no problem opening it with the remote. The sensors are aligned.
    Thanks
    It is binding up somewhere when was the last time you greased the garage door wheels - - is it a chain or screw door opener - - might the brass gear in the door opener starting to where - - when you disconnect the door from the opener doe sit move easily?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Check the sensor or switch that stops the motor when the door is opened. It may be slow to operate when the door closes, falsely telling the unit to stop because the door isn't moving. I just had to mess with the one on mine that signals that the door is closed. It would go up a couple of inches and stop. Different openers use several different systems for signaling opened and closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage Door will not close [ 4 Answers ]

When I press the wall switch, the garage door will move forward a few inches and then stop. If I hit the switch again it will reverse back to the starting position. If I keep doing this a few times it will eventually close all the way. But then when I open it up again it will start doing the same...

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search