Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 10:57 AM
    How society functions
    Do you believe society functions in a progressive constant nature through social reforms and change; or do you believe history is more about the rise and fall of societies according to their inner strengths and weaknesses, rather than a constant progress?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 11:11 AM
    I 'm a believer of Crisis Theory .Even if society withstands and survives crisis it becomes transformed in some way .
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 26, 2007, 11:12 AM
    I'm more inclined toward the latter.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 26, 2007, 12:04 PM
    It's a good question, DC.

There is evidence of both philosophies in history. The rise and fall of empires have been the catalysts that have changed the political, social and economic realities.

And at the same time there has obviously been a level of constant advancement of human society, with each successive empire building on the knowledge and skills developed by their predecessors.

On the third hand, it can be argued that hjumanity hasn't really progress all that much fom ancient times. Certainly we have developed more efficient ways to kill each other than the bows and arrows and slings used by our ancestors. But does that really represent any sort of real progress in humanity?

So i8n fact both are actually true. And neither.

I don't think we can look at history exclusively through either lense. I think both ways of looking at history are necessary for a complete understanding... leaning from the rise and fall of empires, and how we have built on human progress throughout the generations. One lense can be seen as a macro view... how whole societies (empires) rise and fall, and one is the micro view (how individuals or small groups build on the work of their predecessors). But both are necesasry for a complete picure of human history.

Elliot
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Interestingly enough one well known Blogger believes the first is a Liberal world view and the latter a conservative one.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Im not altogether entirely convinced that society DOES function to begin with.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 01:11 PM
    kindj agrees: I tend to agree. Although, isn't "dysfunction" a form of "function?"
    Whoa, that just blew my mind!

johnHoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Poop society cannot function without adults
    In LOF their group of people do not function because they do not have society and adults
    Society functions with rules, and everyone has to follow and participate in their society poop

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you think society has gotten stupider? [ 16 Answers ]

Is it just me or is society as a whole getting stupider? No offence. But I have to admit from the status quo, the majority of western civilization is becoming irrational,and just plain retatarted. As a young adult I have noticed these thing, all my friends just party, get drunk get high but wats...

Composition Functions and Inverse Functions [ 3 Answers ]

Wow! These things are boogers! :eek: any way to make these things easier?

Classless Society [ 4 Answers ]

Is a classless society possible? Marx suggested it is under communism. It seems that his idealism exceeded the bounds of the attainable.

Crime in society [ 2 Answers ]

Why pschology is the main reason for crime in our society?:confused:

Society Rules [ 5 Answers ]

Why don't people follow the society's rules anymore, when it comes to dating?

View more questions Search