Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp1216 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2005, 10:23 AM
    Wet basement wall...
    See photo...

House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain stops, the water line disappears. The location is on the back basement wall - under my deck.
    I took a few deck boards out but didn't see any pooling of water. Below the deck is gravel with garden/weed fabric underneath.
    Any ideas??
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2005, 01:56 PM
    The gravel could be hiding ground sloped towards the house. It may have settled over 6 years. Check your downspouts and gutters too. If they have drains, make sure they are in good shape. If you can't find anything else, you may have to remove the gravel, recountour the dirt under it to slope away from the house, and replace the gravel. Gravel doesn't fix drainage problems. To water, gravel is like a hole. It runs to the bottom, and then along the bottom wherever it takes it.

Don't know how much room you have under the deck. Could be a big pain working under there. Before you start, you might run the hose under there and see if water in the gravel is working its way into the basement.
    jp1216 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2005, 10:28 AM
    Well, I ripped up a few deck boards. Sure enough, right were the 'leak' is, there is some exposed dirt surrounded by all the gravel under the deck. My opinion is that a rodent of some sort dug a hole - maybe a mole. But the water does seem to pool up a little there. What should be done?
    Thinking I should put back a little gravel and pour some dirt, pack it down - slopping away from the wall, and replace gravel on top...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :( [ 4 Answers ]

Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and...

How to repair basement wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If I'm not in the correct category here, please direct me to the correct one. I have a split level house which has a partially submerged basement. The basement walls are approximately 4 feet deep into the ground. Every time it rains, water seeps in from 2 walls at the bottom where they...

New framing on old wall [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to undertake some remodeling on my master bath and let me explain the setup first. From my master bad to the sink area of the bathroom there is a half wall with 2 supports because it is a load bearing wall. I want to tear this out and put a pocket door in and make the wall a full one. ...

Fire Wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a portion of my garage into a closet and a shower as part an adjacent new bedroom. I have an attic space above the remodeled area. Is there a requirement to build a fire wall to separate the attic above the new closet and shower from the rest of the garage attic? Thanks for any...

View more questions Search