Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emochic_889 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Is halloween right for teenagers?
    I'm doing an editorial for school so I need to know soon! Is it right for 13-18 year olds to go out trick-or-treating one last time? Well I think so because it's there last chance to even go out before they hit adult hood anywayz let me know:) :p :p ;)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
    My vote is no but others will come on and say yes. I think once the child gets beyond 6th grade, the door to door trick or treating is done. Now there are other ways the teen can still be involved in Halloween - helping younger children (acting as a chaperone door to door), volunteer at a community Halloween party, etc.

Oct 25, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    My vote is no but others will come on and say yes. I think once the child gets beyond 6th grade, the door to door trick or treating is done. Now there are other ways the teen can still be involved in Halloween - helping younger children (acting as a chaperone door to door), volunteer at a community Halloween party, etc.
    Thank you so much:D
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
    I vote no. My kids haven't done it in several years. My beliefs and convictions say no.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Advice and manners expert "Prudence" responded to a question related to this in her article today. She said,

It's Halloween, and there is a tacit agreement that if you've got a pumpkin on the stoop and a light on the porch, you're giving candy to all comers. Yes, sullen, uncostumed teenagers holding out a pillowcase are not darling, but refuse them and you run the risk of scraping egg off your windows and pulling toilet paper out of your trees for the coming week. As for the parents, so these people put their infant in a kitten onesie and go out for an evening of fun without paying for a babysitter—and you want to stiff them out of a Hershey's Kiss? Lighten up and be a good witch, not a wicked one.
    I got to say, I agree with her. It's one night, it's just candy, it's about having fun.

Advice on manners and morals. - - Slate Magazine (Last question on page)
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Halloween is still one of the best holidays known to man! I'm 17 and haven't missed a house offering up free candy yet. Yes I dress up, yes I like dressing up all crazy and stuff, yes halloween is still fun for 13-18 year olds!!
    Parents out there, it's candy we're teenagers all it will do is give us zits as long as no one threatens to egg your house be a little nicer with the candy, come on. Sure we're not as cute as the little princess' and spiderman but we're trying to hold on to what's left of our dwindling childhood.
    Halloween Rocks!!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 25, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Yeah you should be able to go trick or treating. Its about fun and candy so it doesn't matter. Now if people are egging or something, then its bad, but that's not everyone. As long as kids dress up then they should be able ot go
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I think that if you wear a costume and, like you are short, um, like if you are a midget then you could be, um, like 47 and no one would know if you were, um, like really a complete loser and still trick or treat.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Oct 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs

I agree with Shy. Once my son turned 13 I always let him have a Halloween party at our house and he was completely happy with that as was his friends. One year I decorated a spot near my house in the woods where they had a small bomb fire with lots of snacks and sweets. I heard a lot of screams that night from the woods and the next morning I was stepping over bodies laying out all over my house. I miss those days!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 06:41 PM
    I think Halloween is an evening that should be removed from the calendar, it doesn't matter what age you are! I'm surprised communities aren't doing away with it. It's an evening for kids to eat junk that ruins their teeth and upsets their tummies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the little ones come to the door and they get a toothbrush with juice box when they come to my door.

It's becoming less safe to allow our children to be wandering neighbourhoods in the dark.

Why don't communities that want to celebrate (is that what you call it?) Halloween have something at community centres or schools. It still allows the kids a chance to dress up but it's safer and more organized.

Just my thoughts.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Oct 26, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie
    I think Halloween is an evening that should be removed from the calendar, it doesn't matter what age you are! I'm surprised communities aren't doing away with it. It's an evening for kids to eat junk that ruins their teeth and upsets their tummies. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the little ones come to the door and they get a toothbrush with juice box when they come to my door.

It's becoming less safe to allow our children to be wandering neighbourhoods in the dark.

Why don't communities that want to celebrate (is that what you call it?) Halloween have something at community centres or schools. It still allows the kids a chance to dress up but it's safer and more organized.

Just my thoughts.

At least in my area very few kids go trick or treating anymore. Malls, stores, church’s or organized parties are where they go mostly. LOL If I was a kid and you put a tooth brush in my bag you'd wake up to a nasty little trick the next morning.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 07:39 PM
    You'd be surprised how many parents make the kids visit our house each year! I'm not sure if it's for the toothbrush or for the weight of the juice box... kids get tired of carrying their loot bags if they get too heavy.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 07:53 PM
    My kids and my friends' kids started handing out the treats once they got to be teenagers. It was pretty much their choice, but I encouraged them to pass into a more grownup phase. Some teens are nice when they come to the door and they stop and have a little conversation--say hi. That's okay, kind of borderline in my book. But others aren't nice at all. I hate to see teens elbowing aside the littler kids, and some teens don't say a word, barely even have a costume and come with big pillowcases they seem to actually be trying to fill. It's not cute. I've also seen young women dressed seductively and wearing heavy makeup, as if they were employed in a red light district and they are going door to door and mixing up with 6 year olds. That's just not appropriate.

Lastly, I know adults who actually worry that teens are going to vandalize their house if they don't give them enough candy or stay home and answer the door. I think it spoils the fun to have to worry about that, and older teens out on the street going house to house contributes to that worry. I think teens should help hand out candy and talk to the little kids. They can think up scary things to do (not too scary!) and help decorate the house if they want to get into the spirit of it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Halloween is certainly not like it was when I was a kid.

Oct 28, 2007, 11:44 AM

Just my thoughts.

Well halloween is for children to have a night off there parents nanging them to do there homework! And they could have fun with there friends! And handing out toothbrushes and juice boxes is really mean because who cares if it wrecks there teeth its one night of free candy and all your doing is giving out toothbrushes and juice. Juice can be bad to so why? I'm just responding don't take anything personal
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Don't worry, I won't take anything personal. I know you are one of those kids who looks forward to a night of free candy and being out with your friends. Go ahead... have fun!

Being in the career that I am... I have to think about the kids' dental health... sorry. You are right, juice can be bad for you too but with a juice box you use a straw and it won't do as much damage to your teeth.

See... always thinking about dental health. ;)

Oct 29, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Don't worry, I won't take anything personal. I know you are one of those kids who looks forward to a night of free candy and being out with your friends. Go ahead...have fun!

Being in the career that I am...I have to think about the kids' dental health...sorry. You are right, juice can be bad for you too but with a juice box you use a straw and it won't do as much damage to your teeth.

See...always thinking about dental health. ;)

Well I'm not going out for halloween because I would rather hand out candy and I don't have a costume so yea. "welcome to the good life"
    Baby-_-Girl-_-19 Posts: 67, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
    I always go tricker-treating... mostly just with my little cousins... but I still go... if for no other reason than the fun of getting dressed up and acting silly and it being condoned...
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Oct 29, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I quit going trick or treating when I was about 11 or 12. Once I got older, I would either go to a halloween party somewhere, or I would go to my grandma's house in town and help her hand out candy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For All Teenagers Out There [ 3 Answers ]

After reading a lot of posts from teenagers I felt compelled to pull something together to sort of help, mostly reassure. 1) Teenager years can be awful. Everything is changing and everything is new. Please be easy on yourself all this stuff is new you aren't supposed to have the answer and...

Teenagers rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 17 yr. old cousin who came to stay the summer with me. She doesn't want to return home. She has had a rough life and doesn't want to go back to it. She will be 18 on Dec. 21. What rights do we have? We live in Virginia.

Should teenagers get married ? [ 8 Answers ]

My question is :should teenagers get married ? I think they should not.I need reasons why they should not get maried. Thanks

Whey protein for teenagers [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old and I'm starting to lift weights. So I bought this protein supplement from EAS and it has Casein, Whey Protein, and Soy Protein and it's a powder that you mix with any drink. Anyway, it says don't take if you're under 18 but 2 of the pharmacists said that it's all right to take...

Teenagers. So tired. [ 1 Answers ]

Why do teenagers like to get lots of sleep?

View more questions Search