Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laula Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 03:38 PM
    gravimetric stoich questions
    I've never done this before.. I hope it works...

(Q)What is the exact formula of CuSO4-XH20? Show all the steps that you used to determine the value of X. Remember that X must be a positive interger.
    So it was this lab where we had an unknown substance... CuSO4-*X*H20.. and we had to find the value of x.
    CuS04-XH20(s)--> XH2O(l) + CuSO4(s) That is the formula
    The initial amount of CuSO4-XH20 is 1.59g
    The mass of CUSO4 is 1.02g
    Hope that makes sense:S
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2005, 10:25 PM
    soooo...

you know the mass of the hydrated salt (CuSO4*xH2O)
    and you know the mass of the salt after the water was removed (CuSO4)

so what do you get when you subtract them.. . the mass of the water, right?

so then its all about moles. Take the mass of the CuSO4 and use the molecular weight of CuSO4 to get moles CuSO4.

take the mass of water and determine the moles water.

these numbers will not be a nice ratio. Lets say, and this is NOT the answer you'll get, that the moles of salt = 0.0062 and the moles water = 0.0186.

divide both by the smaller number, the moles of salt. Then 0.0062/0.0062 = 1
    and 0.01922/0.0062 = 3.1

even though the ratio is not perfect integers 1:3.1 is essentially 1:3

so in my example the formula would be CuSO4*3H20... again, this isn't the answer.
    laula Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2005, 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Okay sounds good thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Gravimetric stoichiometry [ 4 Answers ]

Powdered zinc metal reacts violently with S8 when heated. Predict the mass of sulfur required to react with 25g of zinc. Bauxite contains aluminum oxide, which is decomposed using electricity to produce aluminum metal. What mass of aluminum metal can be produced from 100g of aluminum oxide? ...

Gravimetric Stoichiometry [ 1 Answers ]

What is the step by step to get the answer for the following question: How many moles of Oxygen has will react with 16.2 g of iron? If you could answer me that I would love it!!

Volumetric Stoich question [ 1 Answers ]

Okay.. I think I found the rite answer for this question.. but just making sure I did it rite What is the molar concentration of silver nitrate in solution with sodium sulfate? And the mass of silver sulfate produced is 5.47g, and the volume of silver nitrate that is reacting is 100ml ......

View more questions Search