Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pearcesjp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Wireless Connection OK, Internet Not - Why?
    My laptop is connecting to my linksys router at home and at work, but cannot access the internet. I'm sure it's a simple setting that's incorrect. I don't remember making any changes, though. Help!
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Oct 25, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcesjp
    My laptop is connecting to my linksys router at home and at work, but cannot access the internet. I'm sure it's a simple setting that's incorrect. I don't remember making any changes, though. Help!
    How can you tell if you are connected to the routers at home and work? Are there encryption keys that need to be entered? If you have a strong signal strength, this does not mean that the router has issued you a valid IP address.

Try "renewing" your address by right clicking on your wireless connection the tray at the bottom right and click on repair. See if this returns OK. You can also try disconnecting to the router and re-connecting and see if it asks you to enter a key to gain access.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Are you on a wireless connection to another PC at home?

If so, check that connection and cable too, I have that problem so many times,network is running,but internet is off.
    Internet connecting cable is normally loose when I check.

For me, kids around the main PC makes it hard for the right cables to be in place sometimes:)

Oct 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
    I know I'm on the network because I can access shared documents on the server here at the office. At home I know the cables, etc. are OK because my husband's laptop can access the internet wirelessly. I tried "repair" but it didn't work. ANy other suggestions? Thanks for those you've offered!
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Oct 25, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Have you recently changed your browser settings to use a "static" IP address? If so, change it to ensure that you check "Automatically detect settings"... you can find this in your Internet Options --Connections--LAN Settings tab.

What kind of error are you getting when you open a browser?

Oct 26, 2007, 05:09 AM
    DaBaAd - you were right on the money! Actually I saw the suggestion in another post to call Linksys support and they were quick and accurate (for a change... quick). I don't know why my settings were changed - don't remember doing it - but I needed to allow the IP address to be assigned, not static. So thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet wireless connection good but can't view webpages [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new laptop and I set up a wireless connection. It says that I have an excellent connection but when I open internet explorer, I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" Is there something I have to set up in Internet Explorers to make this work?

Wireless connection connected but can't connect to the internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I just hooked up a Linksys wireless router to my PC, and I have a connection on my laptop, but I get a "the page cannot be displayed" message when I try to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks!

No wireless connection [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I purchased a wireless laptop as my flat mates have wireless connection already set up at home. I expected to just take my laptop home and have internet. However, when I got home, I imputed the network address, then the password my flat mates gave me. It seems to work as it says in...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

View more questions Search