Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamyalogan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Wife transferred property out of my name during divorce, can I fight this?
    Living in CA, and my wife and I are in the middle of a messy divorce. She left our residence (mobile home) w/ the children in March, but 1 mo. Later returned and changed the locks, not allowing me access to the residence since that time. After numerous attempts to gain entrance (in order to retrieve certain belongings), and several false reports to police by her, my wife informed me that I am no longer on the title/deed. Because of the way title was held (________ Or_________) was able to remove my name and add her mother's, leaving her name on the title as well. The home was acquired prior to marriage and held in my name and wife's maiden name. The court handling our divorce recently ordered for home to be sold. It also states in order that the court retains rights on all other issues re: the matter. Wife and her mother have concealed their shady dealings from the court as well as myself, and I have reason to believe her lawyer is aware as well. I believe it is their intention to now sell the home and pocket all the money.

Wife and myself both listed home as community property on divorce papers. Property acquired in 1996, married 1999, divorcing in 2007. Our children were born in 96 and 2000.

Would I somehow be protected under law by the law imposing property restraints during a divorce, or for another reason, even though property was acquired prior to marriage and held as Tenants in Common or.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 08:00 PM
    It sounds like she pulled something really illegal on you. Do you have anything or way to prove that you were the original name on the deed?
    miamyalogan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
    It definitely seems she pulled something illegal, just having a hard time finding information regarding the characterization of property acquired prior to marriage/held in both names.

Although ALL my records pertaining to the home (deed, financial documentation, etc.) were missing from my files when I was finally able to retrieve them, I did receive documents from the tax assessor about a month after the divorce was filed, releasing lien on the home for back taxes, listing both my name and wife's maiden name (secondary) as owners. I assume mother-in-law paid taxes in preparation to sell the home. Wife and mother were floored when I showed them the documents. They had put in for a vacation hold at post office in order to keep me from getting my mail. I filed for change of address just in time!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is wife cosidered personal property [ 2 Answers ]

Definition of personal proprty

How to fight a property Lien [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, How can I fight a lien especially with somebody I don't have A contract with. So how can I fight a lien in court ?

General law on divorce for wife [ 1 Answers ]

I have friends whose daughter and son in law are business partners with them. The daughter is a stay at home mother and is dependent on her husbands income. If she were to file for divorce does that hinder her getting alimony? And how would the business be treated by the courts? He seems to try...

What do you do if your ex-wife doesn't follow the divorce decree when she files her t [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: As part of our divorce decree, the judge ruled specifically that we were both supposed to claim two of our four children on our taxes. I just found out that my ex-wife claimed all four of the children and submitted electronically. Now, I am worried that when I file my taxes (as...

X-wife in defalt of divorce agreement and visitation [ 3 Answers ]

my fiance's x-wife has moved back and forth from miami to orlando fl. Several times over the last 2 years with their now 9 year old daughter. My fiancé has not spoken to or seen his daughter know for 3 months. He is supposed to have visitation according to the divorce agreement with his daughter...

View more questions Search