Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princesspinky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Organize file cabinet
    I'm setting up my file cabinet and am not sure what to do...

After I reconcile my bank statement, what should I file with it. Just the computer printout & statement from the bank, or the corresponding receipts, etc. that go with the bank statement.

Or should these receipts, payments, etc. be filed on their own.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 2, 2007, 03:33 AM
    Think of your file cabinet as a database: you want to set it up so that you can quickly access information when you need it. I'd wager that most of the time when you need to access a receipt or other information associated with a specific company, it will be because an issue has come up with that company. You might consider having a receipts file sorted by company name, in that case, or by date of the receipt. Think about how long you want or need to keep the information: most receipts will be useless after 12 months, so you might want to keep a 12 month file and sort the oldest month as part of your regular clean up tasks.

The exception would be information you need at tax time: donations, business expenses, deductibles, etc. Those you'd want to keep in a tax related file.

Also, if you can easily access information elsewhere (online, the phone), consider not saving the unnecessary paperwork in your files. For example, I can access past bank statements online, so I see no advantage in saving the paper versions. In fact my bank no longer sends me paper statements.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Cabinet [ 19 Answers ]

Hi. A couple of years ago I was given an old cabinet from my uncle. I know it was passed down from at least my great-grandmother. My mom was born in 1949 and my uncle's even earlier, so I'm guessing it was made in the early 1900's. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any information...

How the hell do I organize? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay my boyfriend bought me a phillips MP3 with video, music, radio, and picture storage, to replace my RCA Mp3 cause it's been messing up. I love the thing it's nice and smooth small, black, and oh so cute but there's an issue... when I put it music on it... it's all jumbled and I can't just...

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

View more questions Search