Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Nov 4, 2005, 06:02 PM
    Toys for Labs
    Hi all, I will first start by saying this is a great site for information. I need some suggestions for toys for my 6 month old lab. We have a rope toy and a plush sqeaky toy and a Nylabone. We have gone to Petcetera (we live in Canada) and only see really $$$ stuffed animals. We have Kongs but we are in a condo and only let him play with it outside as it would get pretty messy on the carpet. Are there any toys that will make him think as opposed to just chewing? One more thing, when can we give him a Beef bone to chew on. We know of the dangers with Rawhide bones.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2005, 07:54 PM
    There are Labs that will play nicely with stuffed toys. Most young Labs quickly reduce them to shreds they could choke on. Same with rubber squeaky toys. I am confused about Kongs being messy. Are they consumable ones, or are you using the stuff it with cheese or peanut butter trick? The ordinary rubber Kongs should be clean by themselves, well some slobber. I haven't had much luck with the kibble toys, Buster Cube being the best known. They are hollow with a small hole you put kibble in. As the dog rolls it around, a piece of kibble falls out once in awhile. My Labs thank the way to do it is to tear it open. I have always stopped them before they did any real damage.

Besides the bone toys, Nylabone makes all sorts of things, rings, balls, dinosaurs, and even a Frisbee. Don't know how ordering from Canada would work, but we order about once a year from www.vetvax.com. $50 gets us about 10 toys including shipping. Dogs enjoy the different shapes. It is funny, somehow they select one spot, and gnaw through in one spot on the ring.

Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

I am very conservative and risk adverse. I don't give my dogs any real bones. They love them, but they are hard on their teeth. Look at Tiko's front teeth. They will have a 3 lobed clove like shape. Look at an older dog's teeth that has been given real bones. They will be ground down to a straight line from one canine to the other. My 12 year old Aster has never been given any real bones, and her teeth still show the 3 lobe pattern.
    Mofeta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 12:02 PM

Hi my suggestion will be a buster cube (not so expensive, around $15), it will keep your dog busy for hrs thinking how to get his food out :). Buster Cube - Home

Hope it works for you...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 26, 2009, 12:26 PM

Check out this site for some toys, and many other products. They also have awesome food that is chalk full of very good vitamins and nutrients, and has no fillers. Their prices are very reasonable. The best part is, you call and order what you need, and a rep. will deliver it right to your door. They are a Canadian company, and I'm very impressed with them.

Some items you might have to wait to be shipped to the rep. and may take a week or so, but food and other things are usually same day service. They don't charge delivery. Also, they have dog biscuits that are natural charcoal, and are good for tarter control. My dog loves them, and they are less than 1 calorie. They're about the same size as your normal dog biscuits. Check out their website. It shouldn't be hard to find a rep near you, since you are in Vancouver. :)

Bienvenue chez Multi Menu | Welcome to Multi Menu

Edit: One more thing. Petcetera has Marrow Bones. (not the treats you get in the bag, real marrow bones.) Some are filled with a jelly type beef, lamb, chicken, etc. substance, and some are just hollow. I've bought both types. It will keep my Niki busy for a long time trying to get the insides out. When I buy the hollow ones, I fill it with a product called Rollover, although I'm sure there are other brands. It comes in a hamburger type chub. I just fill it with that. It isn't messy at all.

A ball thrower might be another good toy for outside at the park, or even in your yard if it's big enough. Just don't let her alone with tennis balls, until you know she won't chew them. Niki is Lab/Eskie. She has never been a chewer, so I don't have to worry about her, but they all have their different personalities.

There are a few indoor games I play indoors with Niki also. I live in Alberta, and lastnite the temp got down to -42 (aren't you glad you're in Van? Lol) so sometimes we have no choice but to play inside. I play what I call treasure hunt with her. I take tiny little treats---usually teeny balls of cheese, and I hide them in several places. Labs love to hunt for things, so this will keep Niki busy for a long time.

Another game is getting a little laser light, and point it on walls, or on the floor. (never at the dogs face of course) and this also should keep your dog busy for awhile. I've also made a game out of teaching her to put her toys away. I taught her by hiding a treat in the toybox, and dropping her toy in, to show her that is how she gets her treat. Another is hide and seek. Go somewhere and hide of course, and make her look for you. I've got other games if you want to know more.

Niki absolutely loves her rubber squeaky toys, but as I said she's not a chewer. As Labman said, keep an eye on her to make sure she is chewing them to bits.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 01:12 PM

According to Guide Dogs For the Blind the only acceptable toys are Kongs and Nylabones. Personally I would not offer or have available anything else. Both of these are virtually indestructible in the paws and mouths of Labs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cup toys [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone know of some of those toys that are like hollow and when you open there's a smaller one of the same thing inside,with a smaller toy of the same shape inside and so on, my philoshopy teacher has one of the leaders of the old communist regime and I thought they were so cool that I want one...

Children helping with dogs (labs) [ 7 Answers ]

As I mentioned in my last post, my little nephew and niece, age 4 and 6, are coming home to live with my husband and I very shortly, and bringing their dog and guinea pigs to add to our household of one dog and one cat. I would like the children to participate in taking care of the animals,...

Real estate disclosure laws regarding meth labs [ 2 Answers ]

I had just purchased a home in may. I had just now gotten the sellers disclosure papers this month. On the disclosure papers she had lied about some things. To be more specific. The very first day we moved in our sewer system backed up when I ran the dishwasher. This information was not disclosed...

View more questions Search