Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedarkey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2005, 03:52 PM
    Maytag gas dryer
    My maytag dryer, model ldg482 runs but the heat does not come on. The igniter comes on but the gas doesn't ignite. Any suggestions?? The owners manual is totally useless and I'm reluctant to call in a service man to look at it since I have a complete tool shop and all tools to do anything.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2005, 05:16 PM
    If you are lucky, there is a schematic inside the cabinet somewhere. If all the temperature sensors are working correctly, the timer should power the coil of the gas valve, allowing gas to flow and ignite. A sensor meant to shut the gas off if it overheats could be bad, keeping it from coming on. There could be a break in the circuit from the timer to the gas valve.

Do your tools include a voltage detector?

I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to an insulated hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 5, 2005, 06:01 AM
    I bet you might find that the coil on the valve is defective. You can check with a volt meter. Hook up the meter to the two wires to the gas valve and set the dryer up to start. When the ignitor coil is glowing there should be 110 volts to the coil. BTW if that does not work you may have to back track the circuit to the motor centrificual switch. It also acts lie a safety. These are the circuits to check first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Dryer does not dry in Auto Dry mode [ 23 Answers ]

My Maytag dryer works well in the Timed Dry mode but in the Auto Dry mode it runs forever and does not dry well. In the Timed Dry mode it produces plenty of heat and works fine. What is happening in the Auto Dry mode that does not make the heat properly get to a level that allows the clothes to...

Maytag dryer [ 8 Answers ]

My maytag dryer won't start

Maytag dryer heating element wiring schematic [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer model#SDE5401AYW and it quit heating. We purchased a new heating element and went to hook it up but we have two gray wires that come from the wire harness at the motor that we have no clue where they go. My father-in-law took out the old heating element and didn't mark the...

Maytag dryer runs too hot [ 5 Answers ]

Maytag dryer runs too hot. Does not seem to go to cool down cycle even on Perm Press setting. Where can I find an electrical schematic?

Older Maytag dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Maytag dryer that will start one out of three times. Sometimes, it will chug like a car that won't turn over. We really don't want to have to buy a new dryer, so if there is a cheaper alternative please help!

View more questions Search