Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillyjared Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Can a verbal contract trump a written contract
    I gave a deposit to a contractor to do a bathroom remodel with a 3-day grace period written into the contract to get my deposit back. The time lapsed as I waited for my appt to meet with the contractor at his showroom to pick my bathroom supplies out.

When we got to the showroom the contractor didn't show for 1.5 hrs, the showroom was a dump, he didn't have the measurements he took at our house, and couldn't give us any prices. He then offered to give us our money back if we simply sent a letter stating we wanted out of the contract - payable to us within 10 business days from receiving the letter. This was our verbal agreement. I asked him specifically about the contract wording and he said not to worry about it.

Needless to say we never saw the money back and the company owner says we don't have a leg to stand on in court. Is there anyway to prove in court (in this case Fairfax County, VA) there was a verbal agreement to refund our money? The salesman who promised us the money back never returned our calls and finally sent us an email saying he retired (while he actually took a job at another remodeler). Is there any possible way to win this?

Thanks!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Basically he screwed you over. I'm not sure of any way you can get your money back, without proof of an agreement, although this is a pathetic way to make money. Some contractors nowadays can be such scum!

I would suggest talking with an attorney, as they might be able to think of a creative way to get your money back. I hope you get back at this guy, he sounds like a slimeball.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Did this email contain any admittance that there was such a contract (from him)? That could help. Verbal contracts are the worst! People are just too dishonest nowadays.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjared
    Is there any possible way to win this?
    Hello philly:

Maybe. But, you'll never know unless you sue him. Small claims court is quick, cheap and easy.

excon
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello philly:

Maybe. But, you'll never know unless you sue him. Small claims court is quick, cheap and easy.

excon
    Great advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2007, 07:00 PM
    File a complaint with the BBB and your city, others may have already done so and that knowledge could help your case. Sue him and have your attorney subpoena the retired salesman. Sue for treble damages if it is allowed in your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease without Written Contract. All verbal agreement [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently renting from a person, who verbally agreed upon my lease and lease option to purchase. I moved into the home (Florida) last Septmber, with the understanding, within 2 years, I could either purchase the home, or continue to rent. So with this being said, I spent about $8k in...

Non verbal contract? [ 1 Answers ]

What is a non verbal contract?

Evicting a tentant without a written contract, renter not paying on time [ 1 Answers ]

I am a condo owner, and I am recently experiencing some problems with a tentant not paying his rent on time, and insufficient at due date. He was a friend of mine, and we did not sign any lease agreements for him to rent a room out of the condo. I expect he will have at least 30 days, but I want to...

Verbal Contract [ 1 Answers ]

North Carolina My husband and Myself tried to help his daughter out by buying her house with the loan balance of $100,000. She could not make the payments as he and her husband were separated with no chance of going back together. She in return could move to my house which was paid for with her...

View more questions Search