Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vyki Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Nov 4, 2005, 09:45 AM
    Sent Email
    Is there a way that I can get notification that an email has been read?

Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2005, 10:07 AM
    Yes, but...
    In Outlook Express, for example, you can set emails to always ask for a read receipt (Tools > Options > Receipts Tab: Check "Request a read receipt for all sent messages")

... but the reader does have the option of not sending that receipt back to you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2005, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vyki
    Is there a way that I can get notification that an email has been read?

Thanks
    Standard internet mail protocols do not support this feature. Some proprietary e-mail systems (like most corporate systems and AOL) do offer this feature when e-mailing someone else using the same system.

As Rick noted, Outlook offers the option to REQUEST a return receipt, but it only works when sent to another Outlook user and the user has the option to decline.

There are a few pay services like readnotify.com that do offer the ability to track your mail
    vyki Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Nov 4, 2005, 02:38 PM
    Thanks guys,

I can't get that site up at the moment for some reason but will try again later...

I think it was on outlook express that I'd seen it on but I wasn't sure if I'd imagened it.

Will have to try site bcos is for an email from a hotmail account to an orange one...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2005, 03:55 PM
    The recipient does not need to be using Outlook. I don't, and I occasionally receive requests for receipts. I am using NS 4.8 under Mandrake 10. I stick to it because I have a desperate need for its powerful, friendly spell check.

This is from the header of an email that I think asked for one, ''Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1409''

I sort of looked at a question out of my normal areas out of curiosity because I find the requests for read receipts a nuisance. I recently discovered I can refuse and still read the email.

Edited to add, we are not on the same system. She is using a small dial up ISP and I am on cable Roadrunner.

Nov 5, 2005, 05:26 AM
    Lab,

I'm pretty sure that was not produced by Outlook. If your E-mail client is showing the request then it may be compatible with Outlook's protocols or that mail wasn't from Outlook (Or OE). I've tested this by sending mail from Outlook to various other e-mail clients including Lotus Notes, Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail and others. None of the others requested or sent the return receipt.

Nov 5, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vyki
    thanks guys,

I can't get that site up at the moment for some reason but will try again later...

I think it was on outlook express that I'd seen it on but I wasn't sure if i'd imagened it.

Will have to try site bcos is for an email from a hotmail account to an orange one...
    If you can't get to readnotify, try a googling return receipt e-mail. There are a about 3 or 4 sites that offer this. But all are fee based. I personally have used ReadNotify and it does work.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2005, 05:37 AM
    SpellCheck
    Hi,
    Hey, labman;
    If you wish to try out a very powerful spellchecker, free, it's at:

http://www.download.com/IESpell/3000...ml?tag=lst-0-1

But, I am not sure if it will work from within an email program. It does work great, while typing anywhere online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't email [ 2 Answers ]

I have an email address from Yahoo. I can receive emails but once I go to send one, when I'm on the page were it asks there email address and subject, but there is no box where I can write my email. It has the subject and their address but below that it has no box to write. But I asked my...

The best email like The Bat! [ 4 Answers ]

Anybody help me find an email client as good as The Bat! I am using The Bat! Email client for years. I love its features, but now a days many of my email reciepient blocks my email because of possible spam from The Bat email client. I still fond of using it. So to cover all of my email...

Email 'Signatures' [ 3 Answers ]

Using Outlook Express 6 with Windows 2000. I want to create an Email signature in one font but to have my main default font message as a different one without having to change either each time I send a new email. I know broadly how that SHOULD be done, but no matter what I try, the...

Lost email [ 2 Answers ]

:' I recently upgraded my internet explorer to 6.0 from 4.0. My outlook express was upgraded too (I could tell because the configuration had changed) My address book appears to remain unchanged but all my earlier emails in my inbox have gone. They are all somewhere in my computer but I don't know...

Yahoo Email [ 2 Answers ]

Each time I try and log in to my Yahoo email account the site starts to load then it says cannot find server. It only does this with Yahoo. Can you please help me out??

View more questions Search