Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenmoore22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
    The gain of kinetic energy
    Taking a practice ASVAB test and this one has stumped me. HELP!!

14: The gain in kinetic energy if a 400-kilogram satellite moves from a distance of 3 × 106 meters above the surface of the Earth to a point 1.50 × 106 meters above the surface is _______ J. The mass of the Earth is 5.98 × 1024 kilograms and the radius of the Earth is 6.37x106 meters.

I don't even know where to start on this one. I'd appreciate some guidance. Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 01:12 PM
    The gain in kinetic energy is equal to the loss in potential energy of the satellite, as it moves closer to the earth. The change in potential energy of an object in a gravitational field is GMm(1/R1 - 1/R2), where R1 and R2 are the distances from the center of mass of the earth.

If you need to understand why the potential energy is of the form GMm/R, post back.
    systm11eleven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 03:17 PM

M is the mass of the earth and m is the mass of the satellite and G is the radius of the earth?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by systm11eleven View Post
    M is the mass of the earth
    Yes
    and m is the mass of the satellite
    Yes
    and G is the radius of the earth?
    No - G is the gravitational constant. See: Gravitational constant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The radius of the earth has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: However, the distance from the center of the earth to the satellite (R1 or R2 in the formula) is equal to the radius of the earth plus the height of the satellite above the earth's surface.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kinetic energy [ 3 Answers ]

a 5kg rock is dropped from a height of 92m. What is the kinetic energy when the rock is 40m from the ground? I know that the formula is kinetic energy=1/2mv(squared) but I don't have the time so how would I find the speed, v?

Kinetic energy [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good kinetic energy experiments? Thanks much valued:)

Work,kinetic energy [ 1 Answers ]

In the equation for work why do you multiply force times displacement distance could'nt you just multiply forcec times the time it took the object to cover the displacement distance?

Internal and Kinetic Energy. [ 5 Answers ]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A 14.0 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a 78.0 N force acting at 20.0° above the horizontal. The block is displaced 5.00 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.300. (a) What is increase in internal...

View more questions Search