Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Using a wireless modem with xbox elite
    Ok, we have a xbox 360 elite in a downstairs bedroom. In that bedroom we have a single phone jack. I was told I need a wireless modem to be able to hook the xbox up for a live connection. The actually computer with the modem is upstairs. How will it work if I get a wireless modem? I don't know how it will all work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Not a wireless modem, you need a wireless router and a wireless network adapter for the XBox. This is assuming you don't want to run a cable from the router and that you have a broadband connection.

Oct 24, 2007, 10:44 AM
    OK... I'm an idiot when it comes to this.. tell me how this works. The comper with modem is upstairs. Where do I put the wireless router and adaptor? Does there need to be something at the modem and at the xbox? I have a dsl connection
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
    To share the DSL connection you need to connect the modem to a router. That router performs the function of sharing the Internet from the modem to all network devices connected to the router. Those devices can be connected via an Ethernet cable or wirelessly assuming the router has that capability. Each device needs an Ethernt Adapter (for wired connections) or a wireless ethernet adapter for WiFi connections.

I think XBox has built in WiFi but I'm not sure.

Oct 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Thanks!
    thematrix12 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2007, 08:07 AM
    The xbox does not have wifi built in. you will need to buy a wireless adpater or a very long ethernet cable :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

Actiontec GT701-wg Wireless DSL modem [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to inactivate the router in the Actiontec router/modem that came with my Quest DSL service. I believe that this is necessary in order to set up an Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless base station. Can anybody help me with this situation. Thank you. Michael

Wireless router-ADSL MODEM [ 2 Answers ]

I have a HUAWEI Smart AX MT882 ADSL Modem and I am trying to connect through a D-LINK WBR 1310 WIRELESS router unsuccessfully even after following the instructions given in the disk carefully. Tell me how I can connect to the net using these two.

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

View more questions Search