Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Kosher, means?
    When I read anything about Jewish practices I find this word.

Does it apply to food alone?

Thanks in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Kashrut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 24, 2007, 07:44 PM
    The Jewish world is fairly black and white as to Jewish law guidelines. Kosher applies to food and it's preparation, but has become an expressed colloquialism defining that which is standard acceptable as opposed to that which is treif (not Kosher, not clean). Clothes that are permitted to be made and worn of the same material for example 100% cotton (kosher as a colloquialism), as opposed to nylon/polyester/cotton mixes (treif as a colloquialism).

BTW interesting subject. I just was showing my wife my personal technique for koshering beef liver. Liver is one of the hardest meats to remove blood from. It is recommended by almost all Jewish koshering sites to use an oven process koshering the meat even before it is prepared for the actual cooking (see link below). My way takes a little longer. I use several rinses (stainless steel sink), salt, rinse, water and salt soaking (twice preferably 30 minutes each time), more rinse, half-cooking searing in a frying pan, drain all cooked liquid, and rinse again. For ultimate kosher then cook liver in separate frying pan than the one used before. Spice as desired.

How to Keep a Kosher Kitchen

Bobby
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Thank you NK,Bobby!
    rosends Posts: 78, Reputation: 22

Oct 25, 2007, 07:08 PM
    The word Kosher generally means "fit" r proper. As such, it relates to the choice of crtain fods, their preparation and their mixing with each other. It has become a generic term surrounding foods even though there are more technicl words and specific situations which would call for Kosher or other language. However, in many other areas of Jewish law, the word "kosher" is used to signify "proper" or done correctly. A woman who immerses in a ritual bath has to have her dipping judged as "kosher" and a legal transaction can be judged using the same word.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't know what he means [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know what my boyfriend meant when he asked me to decide what I wanted out of life. He said he had a hard time believing I didn't have strong dreams or desires. He said I should have a purpose in life. What does he mean? I really don't know how to answer him. I am not sure what kind of wants...

What's kosher? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm just curious what makes food kosher? Thanks:D

Do you know what this means? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know what the term or phrase "monter au beurre" means as a culinary reference? We know that it has something to do with sauces... Thanks for looking at our question and for tying to help us answer it!

Not sure what she means [ 8 Answers ]

OK my girlfriend broke it off a week ago, saying that she didn't feel that she had the time to commit herself into a relationhip and it wasn't fair to me. She was a busy person, ill be the first to admit that, and I know she was going through a tough time at school and with her training schedule...

I really need to know what this means. [ 4 Answers ]

What does the term "give it time" mean? Meaning like.. if something's wrong in a friendship and you don't know how to fix it.. and I'm trying to say "we should just give it time".. what does it entail? What do we do while we 'give it time'?

View more questions Search