Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aj77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 02:22 AM
    High/low method and linear regression
    Could anyone explain how the high/low method and linear regression works and the advantages and disadvantages of these methods.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
    High-Low Method:
    The high-low method uses the highest and lowest activity levels over a period to estimate the portion of a mixed cost that is variable and the portion that is fixed. Like the account analysis and scatter graph method, the amounts determined for fixed and variable costs are only estimates. Because it uses only the high and low activity levels to calculate the variable & fixed costs, it may be misleading if the high and low activity levels are not representative of the normal activity. [ 1 ]
    Linear Regression:
    regression analysis allows accountants to project costs given a range of values over specific cost periods.

Linear regression analysis allows management to form estimates of complex relationships, particularly where the relationship is not immediately evident.

Its Limitations include... (being) based on assumptions of a linear relationship and that Y is exclusively dependent on X. The reliability of predictions of linear regression analysis is also predicated on the reliability and validity of the data provided. [ 2 ]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High-low method, contribution margin per case, fixed costs, break-even [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Royal Essentials, Inc. begin operations on January 1, 2008. The company produces a hand and body lotion in an eight-ounce bottle called Eternal Beauty. The lotion is sold wholesale in 12-bottle cases for $80 per case. There is a selling commission of $16 per case. The January...

High -low method [ 0 Answers ]

I Need To Know How To Solve A High Method

Air Return: High or Low [ 1 Answers ]

My home has both upper and lower internal return vents in each major room. Any suggestions on when to close one or the other would be appreciated. For example, do I close the top vents in the winter to pull cooler air into the furnace, or do I close the bottom vent to better circulate the heated...

View more questions Search