Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TamTam1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 08:38 PM
    I think I blew a fuse
    It's been raining here in Nashville for two days. I keep having to let water out of my pool. Yesterday, while letting water out of the pool, some water hit the pool fuse box and my outdoor lighting system turned off. I opened up the little outlet flap on the outside of the fuse box and pressed the test and reset button. Everything came back on. The same thing happened again tonight. I went down to let water out of the pool, I think water hit the lower part of the fuse box and plastic cords running into the fuse box... I thought I heard a small pop and maybe even smelled a little burning smell. The outdoor lighting system turned off again, but this time when opening the little outlet flap and trying to press the test button or the reset button... neither work... it doesn't respond, nor will it even push in. I'm widowed and on my own, so I have no one to help with this or figure out what I did and how to fix it. I'm so disappointed and a bit sad tonight. I'm sure it's simple, but I just don't know where to start. Can you help!
    Thank you sooo much!!
    Sincerely,

Blowing My Fuse!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Tamtam1- what you have is called a (GFI) ,groun fault intercepter. You said the last night you tried to reset it, and smelled something, it may have been the gfi. It probley will have to be replaced IM not shure not being able tohands on and seeing myself. In your main panel box in house you should have a breaker for that gfi . Check in there to see if one is tripped, it will be half way to right towards the off position, also it should be labeled on the inside of door. If it is push all the way to off position ,then back on. :::: (TAMTAM1- What you SHOULD do is call a electrician to check it out , { FIRST} this way is the safest ) DO THIS FIRST good Luck Hope I've Helped F.B.E. ::::::
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2007, 06:28 AM
    It is quite possible you may need to let the wiring dry before the GFI will reset. Be careful to push the reset, not test. Test will make it shut off. Quite often, a breaker handle will hardly be out of place at all when tripped. There should be a label saying which breakers are which. Try to identify the one supplying the outside lights and turn it all the way to off, and then back on.

Please try to find a way to let water out of the pool without splashing the electrical panel. If nothing else, shield it with a piece of cardboard each time.

Oct 24, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Thanks so much to both of you and I was thinking possible the same thing... waiting to see if I need to let it dry out before the GFI will reset. I'll try that once it's had some time to dry and if it doesn't work I'll call an electrician. I have tried the breakers too and haven't found one that is tripped.

Also, it's completely my fault that water got near the box. There was a hole in the hose where the water flows out of the pool when I let it out. I held it up too close to the box not wanting it to wash away all my new grass seed that I just planted, and after all the 4 inches of rain we just got I was just not thinking when water was hitting near that box. So I appreciate your thoughts and I will be more careful for sure. In the 4 years I've had this pool, not once has that happened. But I sure found away to do it two nights in a row. Let's blame in on the rain! Isn't that a song! (smile)
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 09:47 PM
    TAMTAM l - LET us all say thanks to GOD for gfi's holding the wet hose could have electcuted you . That is what they are for ,to keep things from happing to someone.IT done It's job F.B.E.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 04:53 AM
    If Not GFI , check breaker in house. New GFI's won't reset without power.
    Hair drier may speed up process.

Oct 25, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Yeah, I've checked the breaker in the house... and the outdoor lights are not apart of that one... does that make sense? I have a breaker box down by the pool equipment and then another one on the side of the house for the pool lights and AC units. I think I've checked all of them and all seems to be on. But I'll check again this morning now that it's stopped raining. I love all your thoughts and comments. They are so helpful... so keep them coming! :)

Oct 25, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Do you mean take down my hair dryer to the breaker box and try and dry out the outlet where the GFI is?

Oct 25, 2007, 11:29 AM
    I checked all the breaker boxes and all is on. The GFI outlet still in NOT working. The test button won't go in... do I need an electrician? Do I need to replace that outlet or will it work again? Help I'm in tears... just about... or about to swear.. one or the other.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Swear , but don't cry, that what us men do.

Yes, the GFI device does need to be replaced.

While the electrician is there, have him/her look at the box and wiring to be sure no water remains inside.

Oct 30, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Thanks so much... it's time to call an electrician :)
    Is it expensive?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 09:03 AM
    All depends on what you consider as expensive. Depends on the market location you reside, and the size company you call in. Can be anywhere from $40 to $80.00 per hour. Also ask what a service call would cost and how much time is included.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney cap blew off! [ 17 Answers ]

I finally found the right size chimney cap (size 7) for my chimney. My home inspector recommended it so I didn't get rain down my chimney. Cap looks like this: Amazon.com: Vent Pipe Caps: BIC Superstore I bought a tin one online for about $11 and last weekend, the boyfriend placed it on top...

7.3L diesel blew oil out. [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever had a 7.3L diesel blow out oil going down the highway? Oil line, oil fitting? Where located? Thanks, Keith Davidson

Why track lighting blew? [ 3 Answers ]

My track lighting in my kitchen blew and sparked. The hall overhead switch will not work now. I am wondering if a blown fuse would cause the sparking. I have lived here a long time with no problems.

Blew something? [ 2 Answers ]

So here's my situation. I needed to change a regular electrical outlet and then a dimmer switch to a regular flicker switch. The outlet went beautfully. White wire and black wire and grounding wire all hooked up nicely and it worked! I was very proud of myself until I screwed the dimmer change up....

View more questions Search