Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Buddhist principals?
    Im curious on a few things.
    So if some one could answer my questions that would be wonderful. :]

First, Are Buddists not supposed to Curse? I over heard one of my teachers say she can cuss because her religion is Buddhism.

Second, Are you not supposed to kill anything? Not even ants or spiders?

Hmm. That's all I have right now. Thanks!
    -Fallen
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 08:58 PM
    principal = head of a school or leader of some sort

The Buddhist principles include chastity, calmness, quiet, and extinguishment of desire and passion/egotistical want.

The Noble Eightfold Path is the way to the cessation of suffering, the fourth part of the Four Noble Truths. This is divided into three sections: Sila (which concerns wholesome physical actions), Samadhi (which concerns the meditative concentration of the mind) and Prajñā (which concerns spiritual insight into the true nature of all things).

Sila is morality, abstaining from unwholesome deeds of body and speech. The first part of sila is Right Speech — speak in a non-hurtful, not exaggerated, truthful way (samyag-vāc, sammā-vācā). Another is Right Livelihood — do no harm in any way to oneself or other creatures, either directly or indirectly (samyag-ājīva, sammā-ājīva).

I'm guessing your teacher isn't really a Buddhist, doesn't understand its teachings, or has his own brand of Buddhism.

Oct 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    principal = head of a school or leader of some sort

The Buddhist principles include chastity, calmness, quiet, and extinguishment of desire and passiond/egotistical want.

The Noble Eightfold Path is the way to the cessation of suffering, the fourth part of the Four Noble Truths. This is divided into three sections: Sila (which concerns wholesome physical actions), Samadhi (which concerns the meditative concentration of the mind) and Prajñā (which concerns spiritual insight into the true nature of all things).

Sila is morality, abstaining from unwholesome deeds of body and speech. The first part of sila is Right Speech — speak in a non-hurtful, not exaggerated, truthful way (samyag-vāc, sammā-vācā). Another is Right Livelihood — do no harm in any way to oneself or other creatures, either directly or indirectly (samyag-ājīva, sammā-ājīva).

I'm guessing your teacher isn't really a Buddhist, doesn't understand its teachings, or has his own brand of Buddhism.
    Thank you!
    Truthfully, I have no clue what my teacher is. She said she believes in God, just not Jesus. Then she said "I can't cuss becasue im a Buddist, Well not a Buddist. YOu have to be male to be a Buddist" SO really? I have no clue. But I was wondering those things before she said that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 09:44 PM
    One doesn't have to be male to be a Buddhist!! Good grief! She must be very young and uninformed. Be careful what else she says.

Oct 24, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Okay, Thank you again! That helped a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reasons to become a Buddhist [ 17 Answers ]

OK, so I'm not religious at all! I think believing in something might makelife a little easier, can anyone give me some reasons to and reasons not to contemplate buddism? Thanks

View more questions Search