Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragondog Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Beta fish acting up?
    :eek: Something's up with my Beta fish.. it's a male and I got it about a month ago.. he's been fine and healthy but these past 2 weeks about he hasn't been eating nearly as much as he used to... it seems to be gasping for air all the time but I don't think its choking since its been doing that for a while.. and just today I couldn't find him in the bowl but lucky he had just jumped out, so he's still alive now.. but I don' t know what's wrong with it and if anyone has any ideas please tell me! :confused: :D :)
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Oct 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Unfortunately, he is probably about to meet the end of his existence. I used to make beta bowls, and sorry to say... but this is a sign. Beta's are known to not live very long. However, I did have one that lived for 3.5 years. Good luck.

Oct 23, 2007, 04:47 PM
    He doeswn't seem that old though... He's still very rich in color and dark purple and red.. and still has all of his fins... don't they usually get to losing the fins and turning pale?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Are you keeping the water clean?
    Do you notice any spots (white) on him at all?

Oct 23, 2007, 04:53 PM
    No he looks as healthy as any fish... and I keep the water clean, I change it every week.

Oct 23, 2007, 04:58 PM
    But another thing I have to keep changing his water more often because the food I put in there he doesn't eat so it get dirty so much more quick.. I'm putting in a lot less food
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 05:32 PM
    You are doing good by decreasing his food.
    Betas only need 1 or 2 flakes a day.

Keep an eye out for illnesses, jumping out of the water is a sign of parasitic infections such as ick.
    This may not be the case, but it's just something to watch out for.

No worries about the gulping.
    Betas breath with an organ called a labyrinth - it is comparable to our lungs.
    They go to the surface of the water and gulp a breath of air and that's how they breath.

A lot of times fish will have internal illnesses that are out of our control.
    You can only do the best you can do.
    Continue to keep the water clean like you are doing and keep food down to 1 or 2 flakes a day.

I hope all goes well.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Oct 24, 2007, 07:36 AM
    You could also try to get a water plant and stop feeding him. Just let him eat the plant roots. Or, do a combo of both.

Oct 24, 2007, 07:50 PM
    OK thanks for the help, but he has jumped out of the water once already I was so lucky to find him at the moment he jumped out! I'll keep changing the water and take care of him I guess and see what happens. Appreciate the help
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 07:59 PM
    You're welcome
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2007, 11:06 AM
    I noticed when I had fish the colored gravel seemed to dirty the water or retain dirt even when I rinsed it off when I changed the water. I think the dye comes off or something so I switched to natural pebbles.
    Also you could maybe place a screen on top of the bowl so he can not jump out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Beta fish won't eat and doesn't move much [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have a betta fish (fish stick). I just got him about 2 weeks ago. He was pretty shy at first but warmed up to us. He became energetic and when I went to feed him he swam to the top every time. I recently just noticed that he wasn't eating any of his pellets and when I fed him he...

Beta Fish Water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a couple beta fish, one in each bowl and after I clean their bowls, I rinse the rocks and the bowl with just plain water and than put the fish in but ontop of the clean water a few days later a thin layer of this clear 'film' starts covering the top layer of water... what is that clear film...

Beta fish tank problems [ 4 Answers ]

We Have two make betas in one tank yes they are in different sides we also have two other betas in two other tanks the tank with the two betas is cloudy and smells like cat urine? THE other tanks are fine any ideas?? :confused:

Beta fish sick [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Buddah3, my office mate of 3 years, is sick. He had "pop eye" in one eye so I moved him into a new bowl and used mardel trisulfa - his "pop eye" went away. But he has not eaten since (3 weeks or so). He was hungery but could not get food in his mouth. It was as if he needed glasses...

Beta Fish [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I got Beta just like this one, 1 week ago, his a cute little Beta Fish! I would like to know what kind of water does he need, for his little aquarium, for the moment I but at W-Mart a gallon of drinking water is that good? I would like to know, Any comments? OK here is my Beta Fish!

View more questions Search