Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Natalie Ninja Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 10:05 PM
    Confused About Missed Period
    Greetings Everyone,

I am a 22 year old girl and for the past year my period has fluctuated to the point months would go by and It wouldn't come. I have no idea what else to do. My Doctor precribed to be Provera and Progesterone in order for it to come and now I am worried that if it will effect my abilities to conceive and make children. My doctor told me my hormones that cause me to ovulate are low and she doesn't know what's causing it. Any advice is helpful I just don't want to be in a position where I have to be taking pills in order to ovulate and have a period occur. My boyfriend for over 6 years has been extremely supportive and has done everything he can to help me and I am trying hard also. We love each very much and this has been stressful for both of us. Any possible help can be useful.

Thanks again,

Natalie
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 7, 2005, 07:55 PM
    Many women miss a period occasionally. Excessive physical activity and eating poorly can cause miss periods. It might also be caused by secondary amenorrhea, it's the absence of 3 or more periods in a row in a woman who has had regular menstrual periods.

Provera is derived from the female hormone progesterone. You may be given Provera if your menstrual periods have stopped or a female hormone imbalance is causing your uterus to bleed abnormally.

Progesterone is used to bring on menstruation period in women of childbearing age who have had normal periods and then stopped menstruating. It works as part of hormone replacement therapy by decreasing the amount of estrogen in the uterus. It works to bring on menstruation by replacing the natural progesterone that some women are missing.

I would listen to your doctor and take the Provera and Progesterone. If your hormones are low, using these treatments may correct the problem. And please let your doctor monitor your progress from time to time.

Nov 8, 2005, 11:09 PM
    Thanks for the advice.

I am currently am getting monitored by my Doctor and I was put on Progesterone for 2 months I had a period last week after not having one since July, so I am hoping it will help correct the problem and better my health. Iam taking a long hard look at my day to day eating habits and I am slowly but surely making changes to better my eating habits and stress decrease in my life.

I would love to become a Mother one day and I am determined to make changes where all my health is concerned.

Anymore advice is great.

Thanks.

NN
    -

Nov 9, 2005, 07:56 PM
    Be positive
    I'm so glad that you had a period last week. Now that you've been taking progesterone for 2 months to induce your period. The doctor will monitor your progress to see how well the treatment will work to correct the hormonal imbalance. Keep in mind that your period has to be regulated. In order for your menstrual cycle to be regulated, it's very important that you follow your doctor's advice. You should keep a record of your menstrual cycle by marking the first day of your period on the calendar is very helpful for your medical provider.

I'm really proud of you for making changes in your lifestyle. Learning to manage stress, eating right and decreasing physical exercise may help. If you feel that you can't resolve these conflicts on your own, ask for help from your boyfriend and family, you also have us at the Help Desk. Natalie, be positive and hold up, everything will be all right.

Nov 14, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Thank you sincerely,

I will keep you posted and what happens as time progresses.

Thanks,

NN
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 14, 2005, 11:54 AM
    www.askdramy.com The U.K. online doctor.you can post on a forum, or 'ask the Dr. Amy' with a click. The FAQ Tab on the homepage is also a good place to click and has a lot of good subject matter. P.S. Most of the articles are printable in PDF format.

Hi, and welcome to the forum, the medication is not harmful to you, so don't worry, you are one in a million with a little problem and when monitored and cared for by a doctor, you'll eventually do OK. Check the site above and see if there are others with the same problems for reassurance, because you don't need to be all stressed out to add to your current anxieties. The more information you get about yourself the better you will feel. Type in menstruation in a search engine, and get a whole info site on the effects and problems others are bound to have now and then, but they are mostly correctable. Glad you have the support of your b/f, that does help a lot.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

P.S. We do this on our free time and really appreciate feedback if our answers/advice helped or not, please: click the Rate This Post link, click on Approve or Disapprove, and give a comment. YOU CAN RATE more than just one person, so don't have to play 'favorites', no pressure here at this forum. Thanks!

Nov 19, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I am now even more confused than I was before let me explain what's being going on.

October 20th-29th: I took Progesterone.
    November 1st-Period Came.
    November 6th-Period Ended.

Now:
    November 17th-Period Came again.

I went to the Doctor yesterday and she said that was weird that that happened and really couldn't give me much of an explanation except that it could be the medicine fluctuating through my system or that my estrogen could be low and may need treatment for both hormones she also suggested that I take a pregnancy test I did and it came out negatitive.

My question is has anyone been through this before where they took this medicine and a period came twice within the same month.

Ill keep investigating and searching for more info. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

NN
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 19, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Get a second opinion, I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Ninja
    Hello Everyone,

I am now even more confused than I was before let me explain what's being going on.

Now:

I went to the Doctor yesterday and she said that was weird that that happened and really couldnt give me much of an explanation except that it could be the medicine fluctuating through my system or that my estrogen could be low and may need treatment for both hormones she also suggested that I take a pregnancy test I did and it came out negatitive.

My question is has anyone been through this before where they took this medicine and a period came twice within the same month.

thanks,

NN
    You really need to go to the doctor and get this explained, and if not satisfied, get a second opinion. Taking hormones can really make you go through change and you are really too young to have gone through this. In my opinion, the regular BC pill would have helped get you 'regular' - this is what helped me when I was young and had irregular menses. I would really see another doctor, as you need to be reassured and not confused even more. Sorry you have to go through this and hope you get the answers you need and the help. Did you ask what the exact diagnosis of your condition was? This is your body, and you have a right to know exactly what's going on. Good Luck,and keep us posted.

P.S. Did the Ask Dr. Amy site do you any good?
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Abnormal vaginal bleeding.PDF (222.8 KB, 371 views)

Nov 19, 2005, 09:44 PM
    The site has info on it nothing that really helped though. This problem has gone on for quite sometime and Ive been to several doctors and nothing has changed know one call tell me what's causing my hormones to drop so much that I can't have regular menstrual cycles.

I remember like it was yesterday last year July 04 my Boyfriend's mother and I had a heated argument and I wasn't able to visit my BF home for several months I was so angry and frustrated over things that I came to the point it was unbearably to deal with it was then when this problem started plus I am under constant stress with my own mother always verbally assaulting me a problem that has plagued me since I was in my teens her always taking her stres out on me.

I feel Ive turned into a old lady before my time and now I am making minor things become permanment I am so scared. Ive been to over 5 doctors running all these tests and only getting back that my hormones are low. Ive done over 10 plus pregnancy test and all negative. Now today I started to get pains in my side.

I am so young and I can't believe I am going through this I have yet to bore any children and stress and health problems have been plaguing me so much.

I can't take it. Its overwhelming.

I feel so depressed. Ive begged and pleaded with Doctors to give me information what is going on. All I keep hearing is take medicine and it will go away. The only thing I haven't take is BC pills. But from Provera and Progesterone. When I tok provera my period would come twice and then disappear now I started taking progesterone and it came twice in one month. I am on the brink of giving up. I am praying to God and asking him for all the help I can get.

Thanks,

NN

Nov 19, 2005, 09:45 PM
    PS. The site I was talking about is Ask Dr Amy.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 20, 2005, 07:28 PM
    PS. The site I was talking about is Ask Dr Amy.
    Did you click on the last PDF document called Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding.PDF in my last post under the Panda as an Attachment? This one covers the effects of hormones you are taking. You can also find some by searching the web - the best place is the mayo clinic, or webmedonline and Health Clinic Online. I'm sorry that you have had no luck in getting satisfactory answers from your doctors and hope you'll find something to confront them with on these sites, to get a better answer than just 'low hormones'. Wish you the best of luck, dear. Keep us posted.

Nov 21, 2005, 02:43 AM
    The info I found on the PDF file was very very insightful. I am going to take that to my Doctors and take a more stronger approach on things. This is my health and I am not going to take it for granted. Ive gotten a lot of strong information from this site. I thank u all. Last night I went to the emergency room for instense pains in my sides. They ran a complete blood count and everything came back fine. I have to book an appointment for an ultrasound and when I do that Ill let u guys know whatz going on.

Thanks,

NN

Ill keep u posted.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2005, 04:13 AM
    Seen an acupuncturist?

My wife started going to acupuncture a few years ago to help with severe endometreosis and adhesions. Surgery had been done and the pain was back within 3 months. Next step was to live on painkillers, do more surgery, or get a hysterectomy.

So she saw an acupuncturist instead. Long story short - her acupuncturist said that a "by-product" of the treatment she was getting was increased fertility. One month she was even going out of the country the next week and said she was concerned about having the period there (since that was sometimes when her pain hit the worst) and he treated her and said she'd start the period within 24 hours. She started that night. Like he threw a switch.

So... I cannot say if it'll help, but if there is an acupuncturist in your area I'd schedule a visit. Might be that my wife just responds well to treatment, but if she'd listened to three diff docs she'd have had a hysterectomy instead of our wonderful, naughty son.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 21, 2005, 01:34 PM
    The info I found on the PDF file was very very insightful. I am going to take that to my Doctors and take a more stronger approach on things. This is my health and I am not going to take it for granted. Ive gotten a lot of strong information from this site. I thank u all. Last night I went to the emergency room for instense pains in my sides. They ran a complete blood count and everything came back fine. I have to book an appointment for an ultrasound and when I do that Ill let u guys know whatz going on.

Thanks,

NN

Ill keep u posted.
    Good for you dear, it's your body after all, and you have a right to get everything explained and not just treated as a number or name on a treadmill and answer to 'next'..

P.S. We all do this on our free time and really appreciate feedback if our answers/advice helped or not, please: click the Rate This Post link located on the blue date line above our names on the right side, next to the number of the post, click on Approve or Disapprove, and give a comment. Thanks!
    -

Nov 27, 2005, 07:34 PM
    The site has info on it nothing that really helped though. This problem has gone on for quite sometime and Ive been to several doctors and nothing has changed know one call tell me what's causing my hormones to drop so much that I can't have regular menstrual cycles.

I remember like it was yesterday last year July 04 my Boyfriend's mother and I had a heated arguement and I wasnt able to visit my BF home for several months I was so angry and frustrated over things that I came to the point it was unbearably to deal with it was then when this problem started plus I am under constant stress with my own mother always verbally assaulting me a problem that has plagued me since I was in my teens her always taking her stres out on me.

I feel Ive turned into a old lady before my time and now I am making minor things become permanment I am so scared. Ive been to over 5 doctors running all these tests and only getting back that my hormones are low. Ive done over 10 plus pregnancy test and all negative. Now today I started to get pains in my side.

I am so young and I can't believe I am going through this I have yet to bore any children and stress and health problems have been plaguing me so much.

I can't take it. Its overwhelming.

I feel so depressed. Ive begged and pleaded with Doctors to give me information what is going on. All I keep hearing is take medicine and it will go away. The only thing I havent take is BC pills. But from Provera and Progesterone. When I tok provera my period would come twice and then disappear now I started taking progesterone and it came twice in one month. I am on the brink of giving up. I am praying to God and asking him for all the help I can get.

Thanks,

NN
    I'm sorry I took so long to get back to Help Desk. Chery is right, the doctors you've seen should have given you an explanation, if they cannot diagnose your condition, then get another opinion. I'm very disappointed that 5 doctors ran tests on you and couldn't come up with a name, or a logical explanation to the symptoms you've been having.

I'm going to try my best to shed some light on this. Since your doctor mentioned that your estrogen may be low, it's understandable. Because estrogen is the dominant hormone in the first half of the menstrual cycle and continues to play a part throughout the second half as well. If estrogen is low, the normal feedback mechanisms of the hypothalamus and pituitary do not function causing an imbalance in the natural menstruation cycle. Estrogen is the main female reproductive hormone, estrogen plays a role in female fertility and specifically ovulation. You have estrogen and progesterone imbalances, the doctor has to provide hormone therapy. Women with low estrogen, must also take progesterone. Estrogen and progesterone are two of the primary female sex hormones. They take turns driving the process of maturing and releasing an egg and preparing the uterus for possible pregnancy. If there is no pregnancy, you have a period and the whole cycle begins again.

If the doctors still can't diagnose your symptoms, ask them if they know about "amenorrhea" and "oligomenorrhea". Women who do not ovulate also do not menstruate, the disorder known as amenorrhea means absents of menstrual periods. If your not menstruate regularly, it's a condition called oligomenorrhea. Doctors can tell previous menstrual cycles whether there is likely to be an ovulation disorder. The blood testing at various times of the menstrual cycle and sometimes an ultrasound study of the ovaries can clarify whether ovulation is occurring.

Natalie, I know you've been through a lot but don't give up. Yes, it can be overwhelming, however, don't allow discouragement. You came this far, you must continue on finding solutions to the problem. Your under a lot of stress, and emotional stress can also take a toll on normal ovulation and menstruation in women. It's important that you practice any kind of therapy to manage the stress. We all hope that your doctor provides you some information about your symptoms. Please do keep us posted.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 30, 2005, 01:52 PM
    First, PrettynPetite1 - I agree fully, but could only rate you once today.. so here's my ATTABOY!

Second, Dear - a question just popped up in my mind, and I'm not stating this could be the case, but also warning others that this could be the case you are experiencing irrregularity or even no periods. As we all know, the young people who have eating disorders, mild or drastic, either take diet pills with a lot of speed, or they throw up, or use laxatives. A physilogical thing happens to the body when a person tries to stop the natural weight development of child-bearing age, and that's making the body 'convert' itself back to pre-adoloscent stage, therefore making the menses stop and hormones get imbalanced. These changes happen in the reproductive system of women as well as in the brain and other parts of the body, so this might also be a possibility. Did you by any chance go through a diet of any type recently to loose a few pounds with help of medications, herbal teas or laxatives? I don't know you, and I never make judgements, so please don't take this the wrong way. It's just that some women don't understand what their bodies go through when they drastically try to stop nature from taking it's course. At any rate, when you see (unfortunately for you, your 6th) the next doctor, and feel you can trust him/her, please don't leave anything out, if you want the results of your dream to come true. You might even need hormone treatments again, but look at the alternative of what you really stive for. I really wish you all the best of care with your next physician and hope your dream comes true. At any rate, keep us posted and don't give up.
    -

Nov 30, 2005, 06:31 PM
    Chery, I appreciate your comments. Whether I'm giving advice on beauty or any situation, I'm sympathetic to the person's feelings, so I try to be empathetic by putting myself in their shoes. I don't need no reputation system to rate myself worth, I truly enjoy helping people and I do not expect any recognition in return.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 1, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettynPetite1
    Chery, I appreciate your comments. Whether I'm giving advice on beauty or any situation, I'm sympathetic to the person's feelings, so I try to be empathetic by putting myself in their shoes. I don't need no reputation system to rate my self worth, I truly enjoy helping people and I do not expect any recognition in return.
    Good for you dear, but I'm sure that it feels nice to be appreciated and recognized - it's only human nature, and you're should accept the appreciation- it's your's.
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Dec 1, 2005, 02:55 PM
    Hello Everyone,

Now:

I went to the Doctor yesterday and she said that was weird that that happened and really couldnt give me much of an explanation except that it could be the medicine fluctuating through my system or that my estrogen could be low and may need treatment for both hormones she also suggested that I take a pregnancy test I did and it came out negatitive.

thanks,

NN
    Is your bleeding heavy? This could be due to the Provera. One of the side effects of Provera is excessive bleeding or sometimes, short cycles.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 1, 2005, 04:21 PM

Thanks,

NN

Ill keep u posted.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depo-provera/PR00076
    Dimples could be absolutely right, this is in answer to your mixed up period issue. If you get artificial hormones and they mess your schedule up, it's usually due to the reaction. But your doctor should have given you a better answer and reassured you, as you still are confused. Don't worry though, just wait till your next one, or if it does not show, then take another test, as not always are the first tests accurate, especially after hormone treatment. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help Confused Missed Period But negative Test [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am a little concerned (although I probably don’t need to be) and I am keen to hear some opinions from others. My last period started on the 14th November, it is now 45 days later and still no period. My periods normally come about every 30 to 35days(not too sure exactly as I haven’t...

Missed period.. Cramping! [ 8 Answers ]

I can say I am definitely not pregnant. Over the past six or so months I am having very irregular periods . Period dec no jan period feb and no period since feb. 13. I have cramps as if I am getting period, lots of acne (I never had this much as a teen. I also am unable to loose weight. (don't...

Missed Period/ Negative pregnant. Test [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm joelle and I'm 21 yrs old. I went off the mircette birth control pill in October and for two months I had periods that came about 6 weeks apart... before going off the pill and before I started the pill they were like clockwork every 28 days. But I did get those two periods of normal length...

Missed period [ 4 Answers ]

I haven't had a period since January 6, it is now February26. I've taken 4 epts and they have come out negative. Is it possible to be pregnant and yet test negative? How long should I wait before I see my np? I've had a child already, so I'm a bit confused. I have had some cramping similar to...

Missed period?! [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't had my period since the 1st week in April and the only thing I can think of as to why is that I started taking singulair in between April & may for asthma- could this be true? And also I have never gone all the way but my boyfriend and I do masturbate each other- there wouldn't be any...

View more questions Search