Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PMENT Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 2, 2005, 09:15 PM
    Rust Stain in Sink- Hints?
    I was out of town for a week, and my housesitter left a can of pet food in the white enameled kitchen sink. The rust ring it left is proving very difficult to remove. I used lots of scrubbing, and a product called "CLR" to almost no avail. The stain has lightened a bit, but is still there.

I have just recently replumbed the sink- from the wall up: new angle stops, filtration, disposal, icemaker line, dishwasher line, fixtures, etc. and would hate to now have to replace the sink itself, which I really like.

Haven't tried steel wool for fear of damageing the sink further. Any technique hints or tips on alternate products for use?

Thanks.

-Todd. :confused:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2005, 04:58 AM
    Rust stain
    Hi,
    Some suggest trying distilled white vinegar. Pour it on the stain, full strength, and let it stay wet from the vinegar for the day, pouring more on when it dries. But, it isn't as strong as the CLR.
    Try the CLR again, but let it soak for an hour, full strength.
    If that doesn't work, then clean off the area with soap and water. Let dry, then pour a little Clorox Bleach on it, and keep it wet with full strength bleach for about 4 or 5 hours, if needed. This might bleach out the stain, turning it white again like the rest of the sink.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Don't waste you time on bleach. It works by oxidizing organic materials. Rust is iron oxide. You needs something stronger, maybe oxalic acid if you can find it. Some radiator cleaners have it. You could try naval jelly too. With either one, give it time to work. You are right to avoid the steel wool. The rust must be down in the pores of the porcelain. You would have to remove the glossy surface with the steel wool.

Nov 3, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Hey, thanks for both replies.

I'll try the CLR again. I was using it exactly as directed (under two minutes total application) before.

If that's a no-go, I'll get some oxalic acid.

I'll post the dramatic results. Stay tuned.

-Todd.
    :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2005, 06:30 AM
    Rust stain
    Hi,
    The oxalic acid crystals should be available from some drug stores.

Nov 17, 2005, 10:52 AM
    Results:
    The application of CLR, full strength, for far longer than the label suggests, has removed the offending ring, and my sink is once again as shiny and white as the Brady Bunch.

Thanks for the help!

-todd.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need hints on how to clean up feces after backup [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have any hints on how to clean up after a bad sewer backup? There is about 2-4 ins of waste and I gag when I try to shovel it out. How can I plug up my hose or make a mask so I can get thisdisgusting task done. I don't guess there is a service where I can pay someone to do this... is...

Stain under sink [ 4 Answers ]

There is a small raised patchy area under our sink that was checked with inspection when we bought the house. Nothing was found to be leaking, and it was thought it was an old drip that was repaired, or something spilled and dried up. That area has now turned blueish green. I do use those...

Something for the guys... helpful hints... [ 10 Answers ]

This is from a David Deangelo article - lots of guys who come here need this... IS HE RIGHT LADIES>>>>>> "You can't bore a woman into feeling attracted to you..." I realize that this may sound like an obvious statement, but judging by the emails that I get week in and week out, maybe...

View more questions Search