Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DARK2LIGHT Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 08:52 PM
    Help!!
    I Am 15 Years Old And I Don't Know How To Fight. I Want To Take Boxing Lessons To Learn How So I Can Defend Myself. Should I Do This Or Do I Not Know What I Am Getting Myself Into?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2005, 05:16 AM
    Fight
    Hi,
    It is very, very normal, to not know how to fight. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, does not know anything about fighting, until they are put in a position where they might have to. It's only then that one learns, the hard way!
    If your parents or whoever has the money, I very highly suggest taking lessons from a Karate, or other self-defense classes. Forget about boxing!
    My grandson is 8 yrs old, and is a Red Belt. He has been taking Karate lessons for the past year, and really likes it. It teaches self control, confidence, good manners, and respect for others. He now has to teach others, and in some future time will test for his Brown Belt and eventually his first degree Black Belt. He is also involved in Little League football, baseball, and others.
    Boxing, in comparison with the Self-Defense classes, is really in a completely different league. You can know how to box, but at the same time, get "beat up" very badly by someone who doesn't care how they fight!
    Self-defense classes teaches you how to handle almost all situations, from brawling, boxing, and how to take care of yourself. It is "self-defense", not aggressive fighting.
    KAOSKTRL Posts: 119, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2005, 12:19 AM
    Most citeis have boxing program check with the REC park deptment and sign up you can gain some valueble lessons about yourself boxing.
    Frequently karate school like to come and visit and try the hand in the ring with boxers It doesn't always work out the way they think it will as they are kicking.
    GOOD luck
    Sage Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2005, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DARK2LIGHT
    I Am 15 Years Old And I Dont Know How To Fight. I Want To Take Boxing Lessons To Learn How So I Can Defend Myself. Should I Do This Or Do I Not Know What I Am Getting Myself Into?
    Look around for a boxing gym, it's a great workout and if you have a good trainer you will be bangin in no time. Be prepared to put your time in, be prepared to sweat. You should be doing about 4 hrs a day if you want to do the amateur thing, don't fear it, embrace it.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Nov 20, 2005, 01:12 AM
    Boxing is a good sports to get into for self-defense. It also has other positive side effects. You will learn to be disciplined.

Some word of caution:

Boxing is physical 1 on 1 sports. If your trainers don't do it right, you can get discouraged after a first few sparring sessions. I've known a lot of kids who get into boxing, gets into sparring sessions before they are ready, get beat up a few times and then quit.

It is also a very boring (highly repetitive) sports to train. So, unless you are focused and driven, you won't last too long in training. Doing it for "self-defense" may not be good enough motivation to overcome the training because you have to train for a long time before you can defend yourself with boxing.
    andy305mia Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Listen I'm 15 I'm a amateur boxer but there is no reason for learning how to fight. If your a good guy that looks for no trouble there is no reason to learn how to fight. But the reason I fight its to release all my frustration in my life in your case you don't really need 2 fight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search