Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Breaching a real estate contract
    I have signed a contact to sell my house. Because a job fell through in the province we would move to, is there anyway to get out of the contact?
    chrissy2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 09:56 AM
    [QUOTE=chrissy2]I have signed a contact to sell my house. Because a job fell through in the province we would move to, is there anyway to get out of the contact? I really need some help on this.]
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Have you just signed a listing agreement with a realtor, or have you signed a sales contract with a buyer?

If you have just signed a listing agreement (no buyer yet) you should be able to pull the house off the market by informing your listing agent. If you have signed a sales contract with a buyer... that's a bigger problem.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 11:26 AM
    I have signed a contact with a buyer, what can I do? I can't afford to be sued.
    We like to keep all follow-up questions within the same thread, not through PMs so anyone can offer advice and so others with a similar problem can get information, so I've moved your question here.

Since you've signed a contract with a buyer you need to read the sales contract very carefully to see if there is a clause which allows you to cancel within a specific time (don't count on it). Contact your agent and let him/her know of your problem and ask what you are able to do. It's possible the buyers will be willing to back out of the deal, but not likely. You can hope the buyer doesn't get financing, or is otherwise unable to complete the contract, but don't count on that either. Really this all depends on the laws in your area, and your agent or broker will be the best person to consult with (unless someone else here knows what to do) as they should be familiar with this sort of thing. Keep in mind it might be possible you have to go through with the deal or risk being sued.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Hello chrissy:

There is some middle ground here. Even though there may not be provisions for it in your contract, you can certainly offer the buyers a cash settlement to back away from the deal.

Yes, it's going to cost you something. But spending a few bucks NOW is better than having to move when you don't want to, or getting sued.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a real estate contract [ 1 Answers ]

I signed a contract to buy a house 7 days ago, had a home inspection, signed off on addendum that said I would waive certain repairs yesterday. Today my dream house came on the market and I want to break the contract so that I can buy this one. I put a good chunk down as a deposit. What are my...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Real estate contract [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of selling my home. I need to know if a buyer needs to have an amount of money put in the contract as a "down payment" to the seller. You know in case the sale doesn't go through then the seller gets that money.

Real estate under contract - problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone - I hope someone can help me here. My problem is this: My husband and I made an offer on a triple-wide, it was accepted by the buyer. We went to get the loan and were going to get an 80/20 conventional because we don't have much to put down. Everything was great until the...

View more questions Search