Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countrybumpkin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Epoxy Resin
    I'm retiling my shower and realize that the only thing that would stick my tile to my shower concrete floor says that it isn't not to be used where water would be. Didn't realize this until I was almost through with my project. Since this is the only thing that would stick my tile to the concrete floor I decided to finish my project, and just take a chance of it staying down. Then I had an idea about pouring an epoxy resin over the tile when I finish grouting. Will this work?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 12:29 PM
    What was it that you used? You can grout with a 2 part epoxy grout that has resin built into it, do not just pour resin. If it were me I'd take up the job and start with the correct thinset or modified thinset. Water will eventually get to your adhesive, probably right at the drain, and ruin the whole floor.

Oct 23, 2007, 04:38 PM
    I used the premixed unsanded adhesive & grout. I bought it from Lowe's.

Oct 23, 2007, 07:50 PM
    OK the grout is unsanded but the adhesive isn't sanded or unsanded and you did use the wrong stuff. You can try returning your grout and buy the 2 part epoxy grout. I still think I rip it up if it were my home. If I did this for hire I would definitely rip it up.

Oct 24, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Thanks so much for your input into my problem.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 26, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Im afraid he's right, we use thinset mortor to set the tiles in the shower pans, what kind of floor did you have to start with, was it a concrete floor to start of did you pull tile up and try to retile?

Nov 2, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    Im afraid hes right, we use thinset mortor to set the tiles in the shower pans, what kinda of floor did you have to start with, was it a concrete floor to start of did you pull tile up and try to retile?

We took all of the old concrete and put the liner down. Then we poured more concrete down. I was having a problem getting tile to stick with what Lowe's sold me. Seemed as if there was too much sand in my mortar mix for it to hold the tile securely. This premixed unsanded adhesive and grout is the only thing that has seemed to work. I'm really getting frustrated with this, so I figured that I would just try pouring the apoxy over it when I finished. I've seen this done of T.V. and thought I would give it a try.

Nov 2, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Not sure what you saw on TV but it sounds a bit funky to me. If the tiles does not properly adhere no epoxy coating is going to help. If anything it may make the floor slippery. It is your home and not every project has been a success for me either, I would still advice ripping it up, you may have those tiles down for the life of the home. Good luck with your projects.
    Tell me more Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Not sure what you saw on TV but it sounds a bit funky to me. If the tiles does not properly adhere no epoxy coating is going to help. If anything it may make the floor slippery. It is your home and not every project has been a success for me either, I would still advice ripping it up, you may have those tiles down for the life of the home. Good luck with your projects.

I also just bought this tile from lowe's -- dirt cheap. I have yet to use it on the walls of my shower. The walls are backer board and a waterproof medium is going to be put on tomorrow.

What kind of grout should i use.

I also have to tile the floor, but since it is a 'doorless', sloped to the drain shower, i think i should use small tiles--any advice?

Thanks.

Tell me more

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Epoxy Coated Bathroom Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I've seen several bathroom floors with what looks like an epoxy coating with a grit (probably sand) added in commercial applications (bathrooms). Is such a coating suitable for a shower floor? I am doing a 5' X 5' euro-style shower with a 2 foot wide maze going out. No pre-fab shower pan will...

Furring walls with epoxy [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several times that fastening furring strips (treated 2x4s) to concrete foundation walls with tapcons or shot driven nails may result in cracks and later leaks. Does anyone have a tried and true method of attaching furring to the foundation wall with some sort of epoxy instead?

View more questions Search