Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vlpowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Cost of converting electric heating to gas heating
    I am buying a house with electric heat. I have heard it can be a lot more expensive than gas. What would be the cost of converting the house to gas heating and a/c?
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 10:05 AM
    What type of electric heating does the house have? Electric baseboards? Forced air heat pump? Forced air electric? All of those are technically electric heat, although a heat pump should be listed as a heat pump.

If natural gas is available (or you don't mind using propane) and you already have a forced air system (including a currently air conditioning only forced air system), it will be a simple matter of getting the gas to the furnace and replacing the furnace/air handler. If you currently have only electric baseboards and no central a/c, it will be a very expensive job and may be impossible without major renovations, as you will need to add air ducts to your house.

The short is that if you have a forced air system (if you have central a/c, you definitely do), it will be relatively easy. If you don't have a forced air system, it will be expensive to put one in and may not be possible to do for a reasonable cost.

While you're at it, I'd look at heat pumps if you have a forced air system. They're still electric, so no extra bills to pay, but can cost 1/3 what it does to use standard electric heat. I have natural gas, but plan to switch to a heat pump when my a/c goes because that will actually be cheaper for me to run in Virginia.
    vlpowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the feedback.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Furnace - heating element [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to convert from my broken boiler furnace to an electric furnace. I have central air and all the vents from that. Can I just buy a heating element and put it into the air handler? If I can, how do I know what size heating element to buy? The search on the internet gave 10 and 15 KW...

Electric heating to gas heating conversion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new to the site and wanted to know if anyone could assist me with a general quote for electric heating to gas heating conversion on one floor of a three story apartment building. Here are the specifics: 1000 square foot area; 8 rooms; 6 electric baseboards. Thanks.

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I'm buying a home in southern WV which is gas heated and has electric a/c. The current owners pay $123 and $35 per month respectfully on the budget plan which seems way out of kilter to me. Notwithstanding the individual user differences and that the price of electricity here is way less...

Converting a home from gas to electric [ 3 Answers ]

We are thinking of purchasing a home that has gas heat, stove and fireplace (I've never seen a gas fireplace before and am stumped by this). I would much prefer an all electric home. The location is central Texas. 1) Is is possible to do such a conversion (including the fireplace to be a...

View more questions Search