Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    f18fdg Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Lab pup going nuts in presence of strangers
    Any suggestions for controlling a 7 month old lab who jumps onto new people. He is very obiedient when he is with the family but when new people come over or when meeting new people and dogs on walks he will get very excited and jump all over the person no matter how much I say "no", "off", or yank on the leash. Doesn't listen until he calms down.
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Nov 2, 2005, 01:40 PM
    Have you started obedience classes? If not give it a try... I don't think it si too late.. I have a 6 month old lab and we jut started las week...
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Nov 2, 2005, 02:42 PM
    I also have a 6 month old labX, we started classes at 7 weeks of age, have your visitors take a step back, put your pup in a sit , when they calm down, then allow the visitor to bend down to greet them, calmly. If the pup starts being hyper again. Take her by the collar, have her sit again, and just keep repeating it. They'll quickly learn that if they're calm, they'll get the attention they want.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2005, 02:51 PM
    I strongly back the obedience training, Unfortunately some classes are useless. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Once you get ''sit'' and ''stay'' through to him, use it when a person or dog approaches. Unfortunately you need more control over them than you may have. Do not let them get near him until he sits quietly. If he jumps up when you let them come to him, pull him away. He gets none of the attention he desperately wants unless he sits. Stand your ground. This may be tougher for you than for me. If I am, say in Wal-Mart with a dog with a service dog jacket, most people realize there are limits on what they should do. On the sidewalk, in the park, or even in your own house, they see your dog as fair game. It is your dog, and you have the right to control the attention people give it. It is really tough when I go to meetings and there are dogs there that visit our home and are allowed to play with my Sheba. She and they think it is play time. At least, the other people are trying to do the same. When they come to visit, we even insist on them sitting still before we let them loose to play.

You may want to arrange for friends to come and cooperate with you. One big advantage of a class is the other dogs. You can't conduct class with a dozen dogs bouncing at the end of their leash and pulling the owners arms off. You can only tech a dog to behave around other dogs around other dogs.

The instructor likely will start you with a slip collar. Easier dogs will give up their pulling with a few good snaps of the leash
    Combined with a stern "Bad dog!". You can work up to forceful corrections
    With the leash doubled up in both hands and your whole body behind it. But
    You don't want to use any more force than you need. One gentle technique I
    Like is to just stop when he pulls. He wants to go. If you move forward when
    The leash is slack, and stop when he pulls, he should quickly figure out the
    Only way to get to go, is not to pull. This is about teaching him not to
    Pull, not getting somewhere. The man that taught it to me said "If in a half
    Hour you haven't made it out to the front walk, fine, you have taught him a
    Lesson.

Still, you may want to switch to a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. Unfortunately, many instructors insist on a prong collar. They are effective and seldom cause problems if fitted by somebody that know how. Don't just buy one and throw it on.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2005, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I strongly back the obedience training, Unfortunately some classes are useless. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Once you get ''sit'' and ''stay'' through to him, use it when a person or dog approaches. Unfortunately you need more control over them than you may have. Do not let them get near him until he sits quietly. If he jumps up when you let them come to him, pull him away. He gets none of the attention he desperately wants unless he sits. Stand your ground. This may be tougher for you than for me. If I am, say in Wal-Mart with a dog with a service dog jacket, most people realize there are limits on what they should do. On the sidewalk, in the park, or even in your own house, they see your dog as fair game. It is your dog, and you have the right to control the attention people give it. It is really tough when I go to meetings and there are dogs there that visit our home and are allowed to play with my Sheba. She and they think it is play time. At least, the other people are trying to do the same. When they come to visit, we even insist on them sitting still before we let them loose to play.

You may want to arrange for friends to come and cooperate with you. One big advantage of a class is the other dogs. You can't conduct class with a dozen dogs bouncing at the end of their leash and pulling the owners arms off. You can only tech a dog to behave around other dogs around other dogs.

The instructor likely will start you with a slip collar. Easier dogs will give up their pulling with a few good snaps of the leash
    combined with a stern "Bad dog!". You can work up to forceful corrections
    with the leash doubled up in both hands and your whole body behind it. But
    you don't want to use any more force than you need. One gentle technique I
    like is to just stop when he pulls. He wants to go. If you move forward when
    the leash is slack, and stop when he pulls, he should quickly figure out the
    only way to get to go, is not to pull. This is about teaching him not to
    pull, not getting somewhere. The man that taught it to me said "If in a half
    hour you haven't made it out to the front walk, fine, you have taught him a
    lesson.

Still, you may want to switch to a head collar. The leading brands are Promise, Haltie, and Gentle Leader. They have a strap going around the dogs nose looking something like a muzzle. They work by pulling the dogs head around. No other way gives you such great control with so little force. Unfortunately, many instructors insist on a prong collar. They are effective and seldom cause problems if fitted by somebody that know how. Don't just buy one and throw it on.
    Best advice I've heard on this subject, Thanks.
    f18fdg Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Great advice, thanks labman

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Improve presence of mind [ 10 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I want to improve my presence of mind or quickwittedness.Most of the times I don't find the reply instantly of any general talk and I have to stood silent and after sometime I realize that could be one of the answers.Is my mind blunt?

Substantial Presence Test [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I've been browsing through this forum and have found your responses quite informative. Considering April 17th is the deadline I have a question at the 11th hour. :o I came to US on H1B in Oct 10th 2004, for the first time. I was here till Jan 10th 2005, when I went...

Substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you Atlanta Tax Expert for answering my question regarding OPT/H1. Since I have been on my H1 only for 92 days , do I still meet the substantial presence test ? I was looking at a Tax software that prepares 1040 NR EZ and the Form 8843for international students. I took a test where I...

5 years of presence in US with F-1 [ 3 Answers ]

I am a bit confused about the 5 year rule, here is my situation: 2000 - I had a F-1 visa and I was in US for 21 days. This is the only time I used that F-1 visa 2001 - I got another F-1 visa for a different university and I stayed in US for 120 days. 2002 - 250 days with the F-1 visa from 2001...

OPT -H1 substantial presence test [ 1 Answers ]

I got my H1 on the 7th of aug, before which I was on OPT . Would I qualify for substantial presence test 183 days after the 7th of August to claim $ 5000 as being on f1 I won't be able to claim the same, if I'm right. Or is it 183 days during a particular calendar yr? Since I am an indian can I...

View more questions Search