Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
    For believers only
    OK, one of my major battles is finding time, place and way for prayer. I have tried early morning (always hit snooze); evening (distracted by whatever); and in the car (thoughts wander off to distant places). Here's the Q. How do you incorporate daily prayer and devotion into your life? How do you overcome the battle against the gift we have been given to be in the Presence of the LORD? How do you shut out the world and make this a priority in your life? I really would like to know how others are fighting this battle. Kel:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 04:01 PM
    You make the time, you don't hit a snooze, you turn off the TV and shut yourself in a room. You go to the park alone and so on.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 22, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Meh. I don't. >_< Im like you.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 22, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Yes, I was going to say that I try to worship with the songs on my iPod. But I don't think that counts <_<

Oct 22, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Worship is awesome. But, Satan works so hard to keep us from praying. God says He hears our prayers:Psalm 66:19
    But certainly God has heard me;He has attended to the voice of my prayer.
    The Bible says:
    James 5:16
    Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

There are many more references to prayer, but even if all we have is these two promises, we can be sure that God hears, and Satan doesn't want that. We need to stand up and fight the battle in prayer for our nation, for those who are lost and need Jesus. Prayer is our way of reaching the heart of the LORD.
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen2grace
    Yes, I was going to say that I try to worship with the songs on my iPod. But i dont think that counts <_<
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
    You have to make the time. Don't say you're going to pray when you know there will be distracting things around.
    I do it in the morning. I get up, don't turn on the TV or anything. I also pray in the shower. I walk every day and I pray while I walk.
    I do my bible reading in the evening, no TV no phone, no distractions.
    After a while it becomes habit and you just do it and then you find yourself praying all of the time.
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Oct 23, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Fr Chuck and Homegirl both have a good lock on it.

I set my alarm an hour early and spent time in prayer and then the rest of the hour reading the Word. As I practiced my prayer time and learned more from the Word the prayer time just naturally lengthened out until I had to set a second alarm to make sure I was on time for work (something I no longer have to worry much about).

My reading time had to be moved to the evening.

These days I find myself praying throughout the day thanking God for the many blessings he bestows.

Remember that prayer is not a position but an attitude.

Oct 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
    I pray throughout my day, in the car, around the house, etc. What I'm sensing from the LORD is a call to more. Deeper, undistracted prayer.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Oct 27, 2007, 06:13 AM
    To my beliefs, if something is important to you, you won't try to make time for it, you simply make time for it.
    miykle Posts: 34, Reputation: 8

Dec 5, 2007, 12:12 AM
    G'Day : Because you are in Jesus Christ, you already are in the presence of the Lord Most High, so don't think you have to do anything to get to where you already are just talk to Him, as you go about you daily life He is with you in all things so just talk to Him, with in or verbally, and don't forget to listen for the answer, as a father of the flesh would love to share every moment of his child's life so our Heavenly Father LOVES the share every moment with His children, in the peson of the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit, all who are one.
    Blessings in Jesus <M>
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Dec 5, 2007, 08:42 AM
    I will tell you something else that I have a problem with as well when it comes to praying. My mind will wander. Say for example I am praying for someone for whatever the reason may be. Sometimes I will proceed to think about the situation. Or say I am asking for forgiveness. Sometimes I will proceed to think about what I have done. Meaning my prayer stops because in my mind I am thinking. Don't get me wrong it's not that I am not into the prayer, or that I think about off the wall things. When my mind does wander it is usually about what I am praying about. Sometimes that thought might lead to another, but my point is that it's not like I'm praying then my mind goes to something off the wall or anything like that. I will eventually realize what I have done and go back to praying. I wonder sometimes if God understands this, or if it dispeases Him. Does He even hear the prayer? Because my mind wanders sometimes does not mean my prayer is any less sincere. Since God knows what's in our hearts surly He knows when we are sincere.
    Does anyone else do this? How do you think God would view this? Feel about it?

Dec 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitWaves
    Does He even hear the prayer? Because my mind wanders sometimes does not mean my prayer is any less sincere. Since God knows what's in our hearts surly He knows when we are sincere.
    Does anyone else do this? How do you think God would view this? Feel about it?
    Psalm 17:1
    [ A Prayer of David. ] Hear a just cause, O LORD,Attend to my cry; Give ear to my prayer which is not from deceitful lips.
    Psalm 17:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 17 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 17:6
    I have called upon You, for You will hear me, O God;Incline Your ear to me, and hear my speech.
    Psalm 17:5-7 (in Context) Psalm 17 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 54:2
    Hear my prayer, O God;Give ear to the words of my mouth.
    Psalm 54:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 54 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 84:8
    O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer;Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah
    Psalm 84:7-9 (in Context) Psalm 84 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 86:1
    [ A Prayer of David. ] Bow down Your ear, O LORD, hear me;For I am poor and needy.
    Psalm 86:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 86 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 143:1
    [ A Psalm of David. ] Hear my prayer, O LORD,Give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, And in Your righteousness.
    Psalm 143:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 143 (Whole Chapter)

2 Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
    2 Chronicles 7:13-15 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 7 (Whole Chapter)

1 Chronicles 28:9
    “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever.
    1 Chronicles 28:8-10 (in Context) 1 Chronicles 28 (Whole Chapter)
    Isaiah 66:18
    “For I know their works and their thoughts. It shall be that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come and see My glory.
    Isaiah 66:17-19 (in Context) Isaiah 66 (Whole Chapter)

He hears us. He knows us, more than we know ourselves. He knows every part of the seen and unseen.

Hebrews 4:12
    For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    Hebrews 4:11-13 (in Context) Hebrews 4 (Whole Chapter)

There is nothing God does not know.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    OK, one of my major battles is finding time, place and way for prayer. I have tried early morning (always hit snooze); evening (distracted by whatever); and in the car (thoughts wander off to distant places). Here's the Q. How do you incorporate daily prayer and devotion into your life? How do you overcome the battle against the gift we have been given to be in the Presence of the LORD? How do you shut out the world and make this a priority in your life? I really would like to know how others are fighting this battle. Kel:)
    I'm Catholic. So my response may not be of use to you.

As a Catholic, we don't have anything against repetitive prayer. Hence the Rosary.

Just a bit of explanation of the Catholic perspective on the matter.. Where the Bible says:

King James Bible

Matt 6:7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do:

The key word for us is "vain". Since Jesus also repeated His prayers, we assume He had nothing against repetition which isn't vain.

Anyway, since I can repeat my prayers, I use that to my advantage. I practice the Catholic devotion known as the "Presence of God". And throughout the day, I repeat little prayers such as "Jesus I love you." "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" or " Mother Mary pray for me"

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Dec 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Psalm 17:1
    [ A Prayer of David. ] Hear a just cause, O LORD,Attend to my cry; Give ear to my prayer which is not from deceitful lips.
    Psalm 17:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 17 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 17:6
    I have called upon You, for You will hear me, O God;Incline Your ear to me, and hear my speech.
    Psalm 17:5-7 (in Context) Psalm 17 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 54:2
    Hear my prayer, O God;Give ear to the words of my mouth.
    Psalm 54:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 54 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 84:8
    O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer;Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah
    Psalm 84:7-9 (in Context) Psalm 84 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 86:1
    [ A Prayer of David. ] Bow down Your ear, O LORD, hear me;For I am poor and needy.
    Psalm 86:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 86 (Whole Chapter)
    Psalm 143:1
    [ A Psalm of David. ] Hear my prayer, O LORD,Give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, And in Your righteousness.
    Psalm 143:1-3 (in Context) Psalm 143 (Whole Chapter)

2 Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
    2 Chronicles 7:13-15 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 7 (Whole Chapter)

1 Chronicles 28:9
    “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you; but if you forsake Him, He will cast you off forever.
    1 Chronicles 28:8-10 (in Context) 1 Chronicles 28 (Whole Chapter)
    Isaiah 66:18
    “For I know their works and their thoughts. It shall be that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come and see My glory.
    Isaiah 66:17-19 (in Context) Isaiah 66 (Whole Chapter)

He hears us. He knows us, more than we know ourselves. He knows every part of the seen and unseen.
    Hebrews 4:12
    For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    Hebrews 4:11-13 (in Context) Hebrews 4 (Whole Chapter)

There is nothing God does not know.
    Yes I agree, but I wonder if it is disrespectful. Does he understand, or do you think it displeases Him that we sometimes trail off in thought? That it is not constant?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
    God understands your prayers even if they get jumbled. Sometimes we can be so burdened with something we don't even know how to pray, I believe He understands that feeling. He understands our intent for prayer even if we don't get the words right. This is way our actions don't mean squat, the pharisees had all the right actions. It's the heart attitude of the believer. A pure and thankful heart prompts us to do the right things.
    I know what you mean about losing track of your prayer sometimes. I find that when I pray out loud like I'm having a conversation with Him, it helps.

Dec 5, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitWaves
    Yes I agree, but I wonder if it is disrespectful. Does he understand, or do you think it displeases Him that we sometimes trail off in thought? That it is not constant?
    I believe that as long as you are trying, turning from the flesh, repentant of sins and walking in His grace, He will forgive.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Dec 7, 2007, 05:00 PM
    I pray throughout my day, in the car, around the house, etc. What I'm sensing from the LORD is a call to more. Deeper, undistracted prayer.
    I'll be up front and admit I'm an atheist. But I'm genuinely curious... What's a typical prayer session like for you? What do you pray for? What do you say to God? Has God ever said anything to you (not being sarcastic, just an honest question)? Have any of your prayers been answered? And if so, what makes you think it was God that answered and not some random chance event?

Again, I'm curious what it's like for people who actually believe they are talking to an invisible god. With all sincerity, I imagine it can be very theraputic. I meditate and wonder if prayer is anything like that?

Dec 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
    One day during a period of Consecration last January, I was worshipping. I heard the Voice of the LORD fill me and surround me. He spoke to me and said "Turn your eyes from the worthless things of this world. My Grace is Sufficient for you. My Word is all you need. Turn your eyes toward Me and I will be your God."

Other times when I pray it's like a really quiet voice directing me, telling me what to do, opening my eyes to see a specific scripture.

I pray to God like I'm talking to my Father, or a really Good Friend. Jesus is more than my Savior, He is my Life. Without Him I am nothing. I talk to Him like any other person I love, I just share more of me with Him than I would with others.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 05:48 PM
    There are times when I just talk to God like I'm talking to someone I look up to. I just have random conversations, while I'm driving or when I wake up I always say "Good morning GOD, thanks for waking me up" Sometimes I read about someone and I'll pray and ask God to touch that person in a special way.
    There are also times when I go before the Lord on my knees in fervant prayer.
    I have had 3 miscarriages, I had my daughter after the second one. I was so paranoid when I was carrying her I was going to the doctor every week for check ups. On night, I think I was in my 6th month I had a dream I was delivering a bay girl. I saw her come out, I looked down at her face, I heard a voice that said "this is your child" I started my regular once a month visits after that. I had such a peace, no more fear. When she was born, it was just like in the dream, she looked axactly like the baby in the dream. I looked down at her while she was coming out and that same voice said "this is your child"
    I lost another bay after her. I had just come back from a prenatal visit, and things were fine. I was sitting on my bed and I heard a voice, or impression. It said "The baby is dead, but you will be fine" I called my doctor asked if I could come back in, she told me to meet her at the hospital. She did an ultrasound and the baby was dead.
    I have also had many answers to prayer. I know it had to have been God.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Once my daughter was very ill. She was running a fever, incoherent, the doctor did not know what was wrong with her, they put her in the Isolation ward at the hospital. I called my mother, my pastor and others I knew who believed in prayer. I prayed until I'd fall asleep and I'd wake up and start praying again. I went to sleep in the chair by her bed, when I woke up, she was awake, fever was gone, she said she was hungry. The doctor came in and could not believe it. I took her home from the hospital that day. That was nothing but God Almighty, the mighty healer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas believers [ 7 Answers ]

Are there any people who live in Texas here?

View more questions Search