Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaggeiAK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Can a mom leave state with child if NO divorce / legal papers have been filed?
    If there have NOT been any legal papers signed or filed can a mom relocate out of state with a child.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 02:25 PM
    You need to get the father's permission and the legal papers especially if the father would fight it.
    MOMOF3SWEETHEARTS Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I would call a laywer in your state and just ask because I am going through the same thing we have no divorce filed and I am trying to move out of state in hope that he will follow and the laywer told me and our marriage councelr told me that as long as no divorce has been filed he can't get me on kidnapping charges good luck I know how you feel
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 10:14 AM
    The only time you would be prohibited from moving is if there is a court order that would be affected by the move. If legal proceedings are pending you could be ordered to move back. But unless there is a court ordered visitation that would be affected by the move, you are free to go.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 01:27 PM
    So Scott you are saying if there are no legal papers/court orders that the mother can just take the kid and leave the state and the mother can not get him for kidnapping? I personally would make the guy sign something legal just to be on the safe side
    Whether the court was involved or not.
    Why do I often hear of situations of where the mother and father verbally agree outside of the court to have joint custody and the father takes off with the kid(s) and gets in trouble for kidnapping??

If I remember correctly I told someone they could leave but to protect themselves they should get a notarized paper from the other parent stating they wouldn't go after them for leaving and you gave me a red mark stating that they had to go through the court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Yes nohelp, if there is no court order in place they can just go, that is why as soon ( the day) you separate you should file for temp custody and at least temp visitation agreement so this would stop that from happening.

But a married person can not kidnap their own children.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Either way court order or N0 court order IF the father has any kind of relationship/involvement with the child I would get some kind of documentation from the father or the courts saying it is okay just to cover my butt if nothing more.
    By legality I understand what Scott is saying but to stay on decent terms with the father
    And so forth I wouldn't just take off without something in some form of official writing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    but to stay on decent terms with the father
    and so forth I wouldn't just take off without something in some form of official writing.
    If the parents were on decent terms then its likely the non custodial parent is also on good terms with the children and therefore wouldn't be too happy about a move.

The point here is that the original question was simply whether the mom could relocate if there was no legal bar to it. Your answer was incorrect since she can move under those conditions.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
    When I was thinking of divorce, I asked this question. My family lives in another state and I would have had to move there to start over. Anyway, my attorney said I could leave with my child before the papers were filed. He also said my husband could just as easily leave with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

Moving out of state with child post-divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and have begun legal process to leave the state with my son, of whom I have physical custody. Any of you been through this? Suggestions? Advice? I am moving toward employment, family and friends back to my home town, in large part to take over a long-established family...

Legal age to leave child overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the legal age a mature child can be left alone if his fathers adult cousin lives across the street and his mother lives at the end of the block in Forestville Calif?:rolleyes:

Wanting to file for divorce and leave state [ 1 Answers ]

I was married in Arkansas in June 2006 and have lived with my spouse in Memphis as Tennessee resident since then. Due to irreconcilable differences, I have decided to file for divorce. I also plan to move back to California within the next few weeks. I have very-little money of my own and I...

Child custody... Can she leave the state [ 5 Answers ]

I had posted on here a couple of weeks ago about how my wife is talking with an ex and considering leaving me. She hasn't left yet, but its something we fight about everyday. I just have 1 simple question. Lets assume we divorce and she gets custody of our daughter. If she were to move to...

View more questions Search