Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadylady1979 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
    My boyfriend thinks I'm not affectionate enough
    Backstory:

I avoided getting involved with him specifically for this reason. I told him up front that I'm very independent. I always have been, yet I have been in two separate serious relationships (2.5 yrs, 4 yrs).

He is a very emotionally needy person, and is now suggesting he go to therapy. He believes and I agree that he is emotionally codependent.

I want the relationship to work, but at the same time I don't really think it necessary for someone to go to therapy. I was telling him that there is nothing wrong with the way he is but perhaps he needs someone more like him. He is really opposed to us breaking up, and I definitely want to save the relationship.

I guess I'm curious if anyone has had similar situations, and what the outcome was.
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Oct 22, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Well first of all I must disagree with you stating but at the same time I don't really think it necessary for someone to go to therapy for some people therapy is the ONLY way for them to better themselves.

Secondly I would say that you two are not properly matched. I had a boyfreind that was the SAME WAY and we were together 2 1/2 years trying to work things out but in the end I knew that we were two differnet people that needed two different things. I broke it off with him and him being the codependent person he was he didn't take it well. But in the end he thanked me...

Think of this guy your with, wouldn't it be better to brake it off now then wait and make it harder on him?

Oct 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
    I suppose, and I guess you're right about therapy... I should correct myself, I meant I don't think HE should have to go because of ME. If that makes sense. Like maybe if he found someone more "loving" it would help things. Thank you for sharing that you were mismatched.
    He is a wonderful, caring, supportive man. I think we need to talk...

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 01:04 PM
    For codependent people therapy seems to be the only way they can see how clingy they are or at least how clingy they seem to others and learn ways to overcome it. Your pointing out things about ways that may irritate you that you would like to see him do differently will only upset him and make him feel rejection.
    You could try changing your way and being a little more affectionate, but NOT to the point you are feeding his codependencies. And like victoria said about being properly matched, they say opposites attract, but having an independent woman with a codependent guy can be rough!

Oct 22, 2007, 02:11 PM
    See I want to try and be more affectionate, and even though he seems responsive to it, it definitely feels unnatural to me and uncomfortable. Ah! Men! :)
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32

Oct 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Well shadylady honestly you shouldn't have to change for anybody and no one should have to change for you.

Someone will love you for you, and someone will love him for him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend not so affectionate [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Thanks for taking the time to read this. I started dating a guy, after breaking up with my boyfriend of 2 years (because he was too nice to me, it's sad, I don't know why it works like that) Unfortunately, I'm not use to not being showered with affection now. I know the...

My Boyfriend Thinks I'm Fat, But I'm really Not [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for two years and we are definitely in love. He is a great guy, but the only thing is that he tells me all the time that I need to lose weight and work out more, but I am not fat at all, not even chubby. I am 5 foot 4, 135 pounds, with a BMI of 23, which is...

My boyfriend thinks I'm cheating, but I'm not. [ 4 Answers ]

My live-in boyfriend of 2 years has this obsession with an idea that I have cheated on him with my ex-boss. I have never cheated on him, especially not with this guy who is much older than me and not remotely attractive. I have been protesting my innocence now for nearly 9 months. He goes through...

My boyfriend thinks I'm cheating on him [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I'm playful child my boyfriend thinks I'm cheating on him but I'm not.I try to tell him but he won't listen.how can I tell him where I can get him to actually listen to me.:(

My boyfriend thinks I'm a leach [ 27 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for over 4 years... this is the fifth year and we've lived together for over 2 years. Up until now we've always done things together (ex. Going to work bbq's going to some parties) and up until now he's always wanted me to go. But this last week he's been irritated with...

View more questions Search