Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Genalie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Can you identify this plant?
    Hello all -

A friend gave me this plant but nobody knows what it is. The "mother plant" is huge and the leaves are much bigger. My apartment is not as sunny, so baby plant here is not as happy as the mom.

I need to know what kind of plant this is because I'm moving to Canada and I don't know if I can bring it up there. There are restrictions on certain plants.

Many thanks!
    Attached Images

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 12:40 PM
    It is some kind of bamboo. It could be one of these or lucky bamboo

.:: Bamboo Menu :: winnipegflowers.com ::.

Lucky-Bamboo(Dracaena), Money-Tree(Pachira), Bonsai, Lucky Charms, Feng Shui

Oct 22, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Oh wow! Really? That was pretty simple! :)

Please let me know if you find out which type it is. Thanks!
    cchotiner333 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I was thinking the same thing, that's some kind of bamboo, I had got one as a birthday gift and it died, I think from not getting a lot of sun.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 02:09 PM
    I do not think it is bamboo.The leaves are not bamboo as far I can see.
    Does a whitish creamy substance come out of it when you cut off a twig or leaf?

Oct 22, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Yes, definitely. There's that white 'glue' when I cut off a twig.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I will try a search and let you know..
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Sorry I couldn't find the name.

I tried online and couldn't find the plant.

The florist did not have this plant,maybe you could check with a florist (take a cutting) and ask about the proper care for transporting this plant when you move.

Do let us know the name if possible.:)

Thanks

Oct 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to ask. :)

I think I'll never find out!
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 12:41 AM
    Oh, don't give up.
    I remember seeing this plant at a florist here,but when I checked last they did not have it and my description of it was too vague for them to know what I was talking about.

You shouldr try at the florist to get the name in order for you to be able to take it with you:).
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 5, 2007, 08:02 AM
    It's definitely not a bamboo: bamboo is a grass, and the veins in grass leaves all run parallel from the base to the top (not springing alternately from a central vein as in this plant). Also, no grasses have milky sap, as far as I'm aware. BTW, Lucky Bamboo is not a bamboo - it's a Dracaena:

Dracaena sanderiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what your plant is, but I think two likely candidate families are Ficus or Crassula. The succulent stems, somewhat succulent leaves and milky sap suggest Crassula, but it could be a ficus too (they also have milky sap). Best bet is to take a cutting to a good florist for identification.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

Identify this plant [ 2 Answers ]

Found this plant outside someone's house in SAline, Michigan and I need to know if it is a bush, tree, or shrub. If you can help me, please e-mail me at EMAIL REMOVED FOR PRIVACY and I will send you the picture. Margaret

ID this plant [ 4 Answers ]

Please identify this plant: curly leaves http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/496222110_2080669081_o.jpg

Identify a purlple house plant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house plant I can't remember what it is called, any help is greatly appreciated. It has purple stem and leaves and sometimes it flowers with a small pink flower between two leaves. I think it is called ______ in a boat, not sure though. Can anyone help?:)

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

View more questions Search