Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    godsincontrol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Felon in need
    10 years ago todate I committed a crime... convicted of dealing drugs in 1997 I received a FELONY... now I have 6 children and need desperatly to provide for my family the best way I know how... with what ever opportunity provides the best means. I think a chance in the trucking industry would allow ample opp' to be a great provider... problem is I can't find a trucking school or company willing to take me on as a student... can you suggest anyone?
    nazukeoya Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by godsincontrol
    10 years ago todate i committed a crime ... convicted of dealing drugs in 1997 i recieved a FELONY...now i have 6 children and need desperatly to provide for my family the best way i know how ....with what ever opportunity provides the best means. I think a chance in the trucking industry would allow ample opp' to be a great provider....problem is i can't find a trucking school or company willing to take me on as a student...can you suggest anyone?
    How I Got A Job As A Felon:

I recently was sentenced in August/2007 for software piracy, putting a felony on my record. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in Graphic Design.

2 months after I was sentenced, I was offered a job doing graphic design work for a prominent dentist office in my area. I told them of the felony and explained what happened and they were OK with it in the end. The #1 reason I got the job was because of God. I give Him all the glory. But even with God's help, I had to put the effort into getting the job. This was my strategy:

First impressions. I knew that there is a prejudice against felons. So I knew that the only way past this prejudice was to have the employer meet me as a person, and get them to like me. I acted nice and curteous to them. I knew that if their first impression of me was of a nice and talented guy, then when I told them of my felony, instead of viewing my felony through their prejudice, they would view my felony through my good first impression.

The problem is that on normal job apps you have to put down the felony. So what I did was apply to places where I just had to email them a resume, no application. So I got a call, interviewed, they offered me the position, I gave them a yes 2 days later and told them of the felony then, a week later they called to say that everything checked out well.

Manipulation is the key. Go for jobs where you don't have to send in a normal application. That way you can choose the right time to tell them of the felony. :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 03:12 PM
    I am going to refer you to the following blog, about ex offenders and finding jobs:
    Ex-Offender Jobs in Truck Driving [Archive] - Prison Talk

One thing, well, two things, you might want to consider are: 1. while the firm may want to hire you, their insurance may say no and 2. firms that drive into Canada are not going to have a felon driving that truck. That being said, there are firms out there that will hire. Have you talked to your P.O. about this? Driving across state lines would be something to talk about. Good luck to you.

Also this site - Employment [Archive] - Prison Talk - employment articles
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Look at this thread posted here on the Help Desk. It might help you.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/job-tr...+truck+driving

Also this:
    Now there are even more great driving jobs

felons+hiring truckers - Google Search
    SHARYL4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Hi, it is hard indeed to find a job if you have criminal records. But I believe the first thing you should adjust accordingly is your resume. Meaning making it look not that bad, enhancing your strengths, skills and abilities, taking their eyes off the fact that you have done what you have done. Also, never stop searching an applying because you may never know where the rabbit jumps from with a good opportunity.
    david monier Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
    EMAIL REMOVED I had a felony record I had it expunged for 350 dollars so that employers could not find out about drug related pasts I know a lot of offshore companies I work for pride international houston, parker drilling new iberia Louisiana, nabors lafayette Louisiana, transocean apply for a roustabout position floor hand or what ever trade you may have roustabout works with crane operator normally on a 14 and 14 schedule making good money and good insurance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a felon go to the uk [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I were planing to go to london for my b day next year I was wondering if conficted felons can go to the uk

Convicted Felon [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All I have a federal felony for Bank Fraud. I'm currentlty on probatin and It will end December 2008. So my felony will be on my record once my probation is over. Now I'm engaged and my Fiance' is enlisted in the United States Air Force. His orders will send him oversea's More than likely to...

I am a felon what now! [ 21 Answers ]

I just got a grand larceny class c I never stole from my company or anything like that or even customers but it did happen. Right now I am sorting trash 12 hours a day at a plant. I can't do that forever what college degrees are profitable with a felony record? Oh I am 19 now

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Felon who needs work [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way I can get CDL traing at a truck driving school? In MI

View more questions Search