Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 22, 2007, 07:40 AM
    What is with this teacher!
    Okay I love english and it takes a lot to get me to hate the class but this lady has pushed me over the line! This year our Jr. english teacher left to move in with her new husband, in her place we got an ex college teacher (this woman is 30 and has worked at 7 different schools what's that tell you! ). This woman treats like we are 5 but gives us homework like we are in college!! She gave my class a book for a book report (she insists we do them every 6 weeks! ), every other class got to choose but my class got a book forced on them! Well this book was to hard to read for me, I didn't understand it so I asked if I could get a different book. You know what she told me? Just try!! And the test she gave us over this unit was more like a elementary school history test then anything else! Then when it came to the matching questions she phrased the definitions for words so bad you had no clue what meant what!! Needless to say I didn't do the book report cause I didn't understand the book (there for you can not make a good report! )! And I flunked the test cause of the damned definitions and match up stuff!! Not to mention some of the questions were about stuff we didn't even cover (what the hell is the Mayflower Compact?? ). Well now... for the first time in my life... I have a whooping F in english!

I'm trying to keep up with the homework but I'm still missing assignments and my grade is not going up!! I'm trying to talk my mom into just letting me go to the learning center for english and do my other classes in school (better yet why not do all classes there cause I hate this school!! ). My mother said she's thinking about it but if she says no what can I do?
    SDRAWKCAB-SDRAWROF Posts: 77, Reputation: 7

Oct 22, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud
    Okay I love english and it takes alot to get me to hate the class but this lady has pushed me over the line!! This year our Jr. english teacher left to move in with her new husband, in her place we got an ex college teacher (this woman is 30 and has worked at 7 different schools what's that tell ya!!). This woman treats like we are 5 but gives us homework like we are in college!!! She gave my class a book for a book report (she insists we do them every 6 weeks!!), every other class got to choose but my class got a book forced on them!! Well this book was to hard to read for me, I didn't understand it so I asked if I could get a different book. You know what she told me? Just try!!! And the test she gave us over this unit was more like a elementary school history test then anything else!! Then when it came to the matching questions she phrased the definitions for words so bad you had no clue what ment what!!! Needless to say I didn't do the book report cause I didn't understand the book (there for you can not make a good report!!)!! And I flunked the test cause of the damned definitions and match up stuff!!! Not to mention some of the questions were about stuff we didn't even cover (what the hell is the Mayflower Compact???). Well now... for the first time in my life... I have a whooping F in english!!

I'm trying to keep up with the homework but I'm still missing assignments and my grade is not going up!!! I'm trying to talk my mom into just letting me go to the learning center for english and do my other classes in school (better yet why not do all classes there cause I hate this school!!!). My mother said she's thinking about it but if she says no what can I do?!
    This is going to be a really stupid question, but have you spoken to the teacher about how you feel? I mean not in a way that completely criticises her teaching but like, telling her you're finding this new way of learning difficult?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2007, 08:07 AM
    First, a book report every 6 weeks does not seem out of line. Second, I don't see a problem in assigning a specific book. The teacher is trying to gauge how well you understand the material. And its easier if the whole class is working with the same material.

As for what the MayFlower compact is, that's elementary school history.

I suggest you try to work with the teacher instead of rebelling against her.

Oh, and lose the second line of your signature before we lose it for you.

Oct 22, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Yes I have talked to her as have many other people cause her teaching methods are too difficult for all of us. And scott she knew how well we understood the material... WE DIDN'T!! No one in my class understood the book. I asked if I could change that way I could do the report but she wouldn't let me I can't write a report on a book I don't understand. And doing book reports that much is completely unreasonable she's going to make us do one around finals and she gives us like 5 assignments (THAT ARE MORE HISTORY THEN ENGLISH! ) and essays and reports ontop of that! My entire class has jobs so we don't have time for that many book reports! If it was two for the year I'd be fine but this is too much!
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 08:39 AM
    BiWiccan,

Let me understand this you are a junior in high school and you don't know what the "Mayflower Compact" is? Shame on you and Shame on your previous History teachers.

Why don't you "Google" the "Mayflower Compact," show some initiative for pity's sake.
    If your teacher has taught at the college level, then you are lucky. She's treating the subject matter with the dedication she should.

Too much homework? Suck it up and do the work, you might be surprised at what you learn.

Back in my days at high school I learned what homework was. I went to a Catholic High School in the Bronx, NY.

Once accepted to the school, I was given a list of 50 books and told to read any 25 I wanted to and to be prepared to take tests on each of the books I read when school began in the fall.

We were actually tested on the books. Home work would take anywhere from 3.5 to 6 hours a night, more on weekends. We had Irish Christian Brothers and some lay teachers.

My first period was Latin 1. The Brother Dempsey would give us daily suicide quizzes. We would get 10 Latin words a night to memorise, give the derivative English word and it's meaning in both Latin and English. Any part of the word and associated columns were wrong we got 10 shots on each hand with a leather strap nickname "Black Bart" I received a 90 in Latin that year.

I was not able to finish High School at All Hallows which I wish I had, but I was working nights as an Usher at Radio City Music Hall and could not keep up with the work. So at the end of sophomore year I was sent to Theodore Roosevelt Public High School also in the Bronx. They made me a Junior and I graduated six months early. The only class I ever attended was Home Room. I'd check in with the teacher and then tell him that I was needed down in Handicapped Services for the day and he'd excuse me from classes and I spend the day helping the handicapped students and teachers.

Which school do you think actually taught me?

Again I say, suck it up and bust your butt to get the work done. Ask your teacher if do the work on the "Mayflower Compact" if she will still be willing to give you a grade. And apologize for not doing it in the first place!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 08:40 AM
    As a teacher I can tell you that going to your teacher like Scott suggested is a great idea. But, when you go to her have specific questions for her. What about the book do you not understand; is it the language, the plot, or the vocabulary. If the whole class is reading the same book chances are it is built into the curriculum for your grade.

When reading the book keep a piece of paper next to you and write down any questions that you have. Then bring them to her and have her explain them. She might need to see you after school, but that is OK. Work with her instead of against her and you will find English much more enjoyable.

Oct 22, 2007, 08:56 AM
    It's the way the book is written! It was the last of the mohicans and I just didn't get it it's too high a reading level for me. I can't make it up now cause it was a while back. And donf I couldn't look it up it was a test she didn't cover it. And this isn't even an english class anymore it's history more then anything! The only thing English we have done at all in the las 9 weeks was the book report and learning meanings of suffixes, roots, and prefixes. That's the ONLY english we have done. We've been learning about benjiman franklin, presidents, and a bunch of other people that I learn about in history! We take tests on them not on the actual literature! The only things we've read that had anything to do with writing was Mary Rowlandson (we covered her poetry and the meaning of it).

And Tuscany she doesn't know the curriculum here cause we've never read anything that difficult in any of my classes! We covered Romeo and Juliet in our freshmen year and last year we read Of Mice and Men. Even the other english teachers think she is crazy with how much she assignes us. The teachers aid who helps us during class thinks that her teaching methods are ridiculus!

Oct 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Ok... as a student of university level english, yes the majority of it is related to history... there is a good reason for this. If you wrote something now, it would be based on what influences you at the time of writing it, that's where the history comes into it. For example, the date at which something was written and where it was set is history. I mean if you are meant to be studying purely english language I could understand, but general english is about time and the way in which authors were affected by things around them.

Oct 22, 2007, 09:06 AM
    No see that would be okay with me. I understand that but she is asking us questions that I answered on tests in elementary school (like where did the pilgrims land when the first arrived in america?). If she asked us questions about how the writtings influenced us and the writters that would be great to me, but it's like I'm reading a history test. And topping off all my chem homework, my math, and my english I can't do as much homework as she gives us (again I have a job, and I'm bad at math and chem so it takes me hours to do that homework!)

I just want to know what should I do if I can't go to a learning center for my english class instead of staying in her class? I can't keep up with this!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 09:06 AM
    It sounds as if she is giving you background for your next topic. If you are questioning where she is going with it then ask. There are no stupid questions. It also sounds as if she is assuming that you have basic background knowledge in history. The Mayflower compact is a pretty basic concept from the 4th and 5th grade curriculum. Since you are getting older teachers are going to expect you to start thinking a little more critically and not so concretely.

Oct 22, 2007, 10:10 AM
    BiWiccan,

What is stopping you from looking up the "Mayflower Compact" right now?

The style of writing and language used in writing the "Last of the Mohegans" will teach how English was spoken and written at JF Cooper's time on this planet Earth.

This is what people conversed in. Compare then to now do you and your friends speak this way? As you read the book, see if you can translate the written words to words you can understand. This book is a magnificent book! Its about settling new land, loyalty, friendship, trust, war and your nation's history in the North East area of early America.

Personally, I believe that Thinking is a very small price to pay for learning. Just because it is difficult to read, doesn't mean you can't learn it and very probably enjoy this Classic.

Oct 22, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Excuse me? Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans was too tough for you and you are in High School? What's not to understand? I admit Cooper's prose doesn't make for the light reading that your generation seems used to, but its not that hard. Rent one of the movie versions or read the cliff notes to get some understanding. I'm also sure you can find discussions about it on the WEB to supplement.

Sorry, but you get little sympathy here. As you get older, school gets tougher. You need to apply yourself more.

And last warning, CHANGE YOUR SIGNATURE!

Oct 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
    I concur, I would recommend using cliff notes, I mean, the likelihood of you understanding every single text first hand that you are given to read is quite extraordinary, but its far better if you study in your own time if you don't get something, rather than blaming it on a teacher who just has a different teaching style to what you are used to, you'll meet many people through your life who think and express themselves differently to you. It's just unfortunate that its making class difficult, but there is nothing to stop you doing more work in your spare time.

Oct 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
    I didn't like the book and it was to difficult for me to understand. I could read it just fine but I didn't understand it. And I can take a look at the first page of that book and know damn well I don't talk like that. To add on I'm not a big fan of these kind of novels (never been into westerns). She didn't even assign the book for the perpose you guys are making about the book. She assigned it to match the time we were in in our literature book. That was the only reason and again I wasn't the only person who did not understand it. None of the book reports were any good cause no one could get it and half the people gave up reading it. Believe or not I understand shakesphere better then I did that book. And our teacher done said do not use the movie. We had to do everything based on the book and no other outside sources, if I could use have watched the movie to help me get it, trust me I would have, and I'm not one though cheat on homework (I do it or I don't). And yes school is tough and I do apply myself but that doesn't mean I can understand that damn book! I lover literature and wish to be an english teacher book I would not force that book on a student in my life! I read 20 pages of it and didn't like it or understand it. Classic or not... in my opinion not a good book and I have teachers who side with me on that. And what do you mean thinking is a small price to learning? Is that supposed to be a half nice way of telling me that you think I don't listen in class?

And what's wrong with my sig? And when did you warn me about it?

P.S. donf... its Mohicans... not Mohegans... just thought to correct you...

Oct 22, 2007, 10:24 AM
    BiWiccan,

In support of your "F" grade in English, Apparently you were never told to Capitalize titles as in, "The Last of the Mohegans". And one more for you, she's and ex college teacher or possibly, she's a former college teacher. Which phrase reads better?

The way you write is a direct reflection on you. People will evaluating your place in life by the way you write. Do your best now and it will carry you through the rest of your life.

Oct 22, 2007, 10:26 AM
    I told you in my previous response to remove the second line of your sig. It should be obvious what's wrong with it.

As for understanding the book, you don't have to like a book to understand it. What exactly didn't you understand. I know its written in a different form of english then you are used to, but its still english.

Oct 22, 2007, 10:29 AM
    ... I don't type as well on chat sites as when I need to do spell checks and stuff... like when I'm writing my book which has pretty decent grammar... and spelling...

Now if I was writing my book report I would capatilize the last of the mohicans (and I would continue to spell it write as you seem to be failing to do) and I would put in the qoutes but I am not doing a report on it right now and there for find it un needed to watch my grammar. Now if you would please stop attempting to make me feel stupid. Thank you

And I see nothing wrong with my sig... that is my favorite gay pride saying... I see christian pride sigs all over the place there so what's wrong with mine?

Oct 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Ok, think of this, do you think that every book that is in your curriculum is something your teacher enjoys? I can give you an example of this... my old english teacher despised Romeo and Juliet and all things to do with Shakespeare, yet she had to teach it every year, at college your teacher would have read books she didn't like, but she attempted them, I know she doesn't want you to cheat, but if you read the cliff notes and then go back to the chapter with them in mind it might make it easier to understand.

Oct 22, 2007, 10:32 AM
    I can't turn in the book report now cause it is way over due but I'll take your advice into thought with our next report (a fictional book dealing with our time we are in now, AND I BOOK I GOT TO CHOOSE THANK GOODNESS!! ). At least I'd think that that's what the books for... a sub took us to the library today to check out a fictional book... if it's not for a book report though I wonder what it is for...

Oct 22, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Good luck with your next report :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I become a teacher? [ 17 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I want to do so many things in life but now I'm thinking, maybe I should be a teacher? I love kids a lot, and working with them but here's the thing. I want to have a job , that I will enjoy. My questions are: How many years of college do you need to become a...

New Teacher [ 7 Answers ]

I will be graduating to be an elementary educator in the Fall of 2008; can any experienced teachers provide me with some tips for first year teachers?:)

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

View more questions Search