Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 10:48 AM
    BiWiccan, do you have a real first name?

I'm sorry, I thought you were in school and assigned to read the book! The teacher did not say, "Hey, if you are not doing anything read this book." She said to the class, "Read this book and I want a report on it."

What do you think happened to any one working for me who failed to meet or complete assignments I handed out? I can guarantee that they weren't given an "F". I had much better recourse. I controlled their salary and I had the final voice on when they got their vacations.

As to "Thinking is a small price to pay for learning" That was a term my Geometry teacher batted into my head over and over again. I could not get the hang of Geometry to save my soul. Algerbra, I coiuld do in my sleep, in fact it's a hobby of mine now. But I finished the course and passed it just to get out of it.

I'm puzzled by your last response, the fact that you don't like reading westerns. What in the world does that genre have to do with, "The Last of the Mohegans". This book is set in upstate New York along the French Canadian border!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Will you share with us which book you were assigned to read?

Don't want to scare you, but in college, many profs will expect you to read 8 books in 6 weeks and report on them in addition to your other assignments.

Oct 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
    BiWiccan,

We are tripping over each other. First, I'm not trying to make you feel stupid. I'm trying to point out errors in your logic. You were not asked to read the book and report on it, you were told to do the assigned work.

Did you read the entire book? We already know you did not complete the assignment. Allow me on additional question please. If you had a report due why didn't you submit your report focusing on why you had difficulties with the book. You would have completed the assignment plus provided insights into why you had the problems you did.

It's not fact that you found the book difficult that is disturbing. What concerns me if that you failed to complete an assignment because it was difficult. I promise you that work ethic will crush you when you enter life after school is finished.

As a manager, I did not want to hear about the difficulty of an assignment, I rather hear about how you solved the difficulties to completing the assinged work.

By the way, what does "BiWiccan" stand for and why are you proud of it.

One last thing, I'm not grading your typing. I do the best I can with four fingers.
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
    The Last of the Mohicans!! It's about two indians who help two girls that's all I know and normally... when there's an indian... and the cover is of an indian with feathers in his hair... it's generally a western and the back said something about the desert. And Emland I'm completely fine with that cause I love to read I'm the biggest book worm in my school and will read just about anything (minus politics and non fiction sports books)... but I perfer books that I pick and understand -.-. If they pick them that's fine but if I don't get them I don't read them.

And the reason I couldn't turn in a report on my opinion on the book is because she told us exactly what she wanted in each paragraph and what order they went in! For instance, the setting, the feeling of the book, the atomosphere, and stuff like that. I just knew I didn't like the book and I got about 20 or 30 pages in. And BiWiccan stands for... that I'm am bi... and I'm wiccan... and I'm proud of my religion and sexuality... Why?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Donf- well said.

I would like to add that any teacher will accept a late assignment. You might not get full credit, but it shows that you care about your work and that you are dedicated to your education.

As we age the demands placed on us increase. It is how we handle those demands that make us who we are. There is no shame in asking for help.

Oct 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
    No they won't. Not at my school, some teachers will but not all. For instance my math teacher will not accept late work unless you were not present the day it was assigned or due. My english teacher will only give 50% on late work and will not take it after a week. What ever school you went to please take there cause a school with teachers that accept late work is my dream school!! I'm really slow when it comes to math so I don't always get it done on time which is why I have such a bad grade.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud
    If they pick them that's fine but if I don't get them I don't read them.

And the reason I couldn't turn in a report on my opinion on the book is because she told us exactly what she wanted in each paragraph and what order they went in!! For instance, the setting, the feeling of the book, the atomosphere, and stuff like that. I just knew I didn't like the book and I got about 20 or 30 pages in. And BiWiccan stands for... that I'm am bi... and I'm wiccan... and I'm proud of my religion and sexuality... Why?

Sweetheart you need to change your attitude. You need to read a book if it is assigned by a teacher even if you don't like it. It is part of being a responsible student. I think it is great that you love to read. But, there is nothing wrong with venturing out and reading something outside of a genre that you don't normally like. You might be surprised and find something else that you like.

Now as for the report. The teacher told you what she wanted because she wanted set guidelines for the project. It is her prerogative to do so. The setting, the tone (the feeling of the book), the theme are all essential parts of a book's plot. They are the parts you should focus on. Many teachers set guidelines and ask essential questions to ensure that you concentrate on the most important aspects.

Best of luck
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
    No they won't. Not at my school, some teachers will but not all. For instance my math teacher will not accept late work unless you were not present the day it was assigned or due. My english teacher will only give 50% on late work and will not take it after a week. What ever school you went to please take there cause a school with teachers that accept late work is my dream school!!! I'm really slow when it comes to math so I don't always get it done on time which is why I have such a bad grade.
    They will always accept it as a sign of faith, but that does not mean that they will grade it. I accept all late work, but after 2 days it is graded as a 0. However, any student that comes to me and wants help with back work is welcome. It shows dedication to their education.

Oct 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Well this lady won't take it period and you ask her for help and she does the same thing my old math teacher used to do... "Just try your best" -.-... oh yes... that helps me oh so much... not to mention with the both of them if you raise your hand it takes them ten minutes to call on you even if you're the only one with your hand up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2007, 12:06 PM
    The Last of the Mohicans!!! It's about two indians who help two girls that's all I know and normally... when there's an indian... and the cover is of an indian with feathers in his hair... it's generally a western and the back said something about the desert.
    You know, I find this very sad. You appear to be a rather intelligent young lady, and you aspire to be a writer and to teach english yourself. Yet you don't have a clue. To sterotype like you have done (if its about Indians with feathers in their hair then it must be a western) is almost pathetic. How did you manage to learn so little about your country's history?? (BTW, Mohegan is an accepted spelling of the tribe commonly spelled Mohican).

I wonder how much of the book you actually read. I remember wading through some books in my time that I didn't like and wondering why they were considered classics. But you give it a try. You obviously didn't. You postings here portray you as self-centered and spoiled.

Oct 22, 2007, 12:20 PM
    -.- man do you got me paged wrong... (until my boyfriend started bringing it up a few months ago I had a very low self esteem so I don't know where you get self centered, and my sister has gotten everything before me so spoiled... no) I did read the book but I didn't like it at all! And if I sterotyped I'm sorry but generally if it has indians in it I end up not liking it. It's not that I'm racist or anything cause I actually have Indian hereitage some where in my line. And I did give it a try I tried to read it but I just didn't like it, I didn't understand it, and I found no interest in it. And as for my countries history... of course I know little I hate American history! I'm sorry if I seem unpatriotic but if I could be anywhere else besides America I would! There fore generally books dealing with our history I really don't like. Mainly cause I think the way this country was built was wrong and I will hold grudge against my ancestors. And sure I may not have a clue but I'm learning as I go along here Scott. The point being is I don't like the book, end of story...

Oct 22, 2007, 12:28 PM
    And if I sterotyped I'm sorry but generally if it has indians in it I end up not liking it. It's not that I'm racist or anything cause I actually have Indian hereitage some where in my line. And I did give it a try I tried to read it but I just didn't like it, I didn't understand it, and I found no interest in it.
    There you go stereotyping again. Liking and having no interest in a book, just makes it harder to plow through. Doesn't affecdt your ability to understand it.

I remember reading E.L. Doctorow's Ragtime. A highly acclaimed novel. I read through the book thinking its got to get better since its gotten so many good reviews. Well I got to the end and couldn't understand why everyone thought so highly of it.

But if you didn't understand it there are loads of places where you could have gotten help with it.

Oct 22, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Like? (Please don't bring up the movie cause my teacher asked we don't watch it) And where did I sterotype? I'm seriously not meaning to

Oct 22, 2007, 12:30 PM
    BiWiccan,

I'm not sure I understood your answer to BiWiccan. Does is it mean that you are bi-sexual and proud of your religion also, What is your religion. I'm promise you, I and not trying to upset you or be overly intrusive. I am very curious.

As to the non relationship with your teacher. From your postings it appears clear to me that you are mentally swift, certainly you are able to multi-task and resolve problems. You portray yourself as a writer and it's plain to me that you are reasonably intelligent.

Quitting/giving up don't seem to fit you're your persona. Please tell my why you chose to just walk away from the assignment. It was your obligation to complete the task.

Oct 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Yes it does, a lot of people get on my at school for being bisexual and for being a Wicca, but it doesn't bug me anymore and now it's kind of like my personal statement to the world that I'm proud of who I am and so the insults don't bug so they shouldn't bother. And my religion is Wicca, it's a nature based religion and I find it very enjoyable. And thank you for the compliments and yes normally I'm a person who doesn't quit (being why when I agrue with someone I generally don't give up till I've won... I'm very arguementative). I think that the reason that I didn't finish is evenly divided with the soul fact that what I did read I was uninterested in and that I've been so stressed all year and just couldn't read... I think the stress also attributes to my recent writters blocks. Truthfully I'll bet if I tried now I could read it... but then I just couldn't read it and didn't want to.

Oct 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
    -.- man do you got me paged wrong... (until my boyfriend started bringing it up a few months ago I had a very low self esteem so I don't know where you get self centered, and my sister has gotten everything before me so spoiled... no) I did read the book but I didn't like it at all!! And if I sterotyped I'm sorry but generally if it has indians in it I end up not liking it. It's not that I'm racist or anything cause I actually have Indian hereitage some where in my line. And I did give it a try I tried to read it but I just didn't like it, I didn't understand it, and I found no interest in it. And as for my countries history... of course I know little I hate American history!! I'm sorry if I seem unpatriotic but if I could be anywhere else besides America I would! There fore generally books dealing with our history I really don't like. Mainly cause I think the way this country was built was wrong and I will hold grudge against my ancestors. And sure I may not have a clue but I"m learning as I go along here Scott. The point being is I don't like the book, end of story...
    Unpatriotic, is the least of what you sound like. You want to be anywhere but here in the USA? You don't like your history, but your proud to be bi-sexual and religious. You hold a grudge against your ancestor's. For what possible reason do you hold this grudge? You hate them without any knowledge of who they are and what they went through. Whatever happened to the term "Common Courtesy" in your world.

Who is filling your head with this trash talk? Your boy-friend.

Oct 22, 2007, 12:53 PM
    No no no what I meant by holding a grudge is I hate how this country was built all the wars, the slavery, and the topic we just covered in history, the way they treated the Indians (kicking them off their own land when they lived her first! ). And I mainly don't like our history cause of that and cause other then the bad stuff our history is really dull and boring (I'd take Britan or Japanese history any day! ). And what does common courtesy have to do with me not liking out history? And no one is filling my head this is just what I honestly think about the "good old US of A". We took control of a country that I believe is never going to be rightfully ours and we did things to people that shouldn't be done. My boyfriend completely disagrees with me on that cause he says if America hadn't been discovered or anything then the Holocaust would still be going on, it's a regular debate between us. None the less I do not like the foundation on which this country was built.

P.S if you took the heritage thing wrong I was referring to my white ancestors, I'm German, English, Scottish, and 15% Indian... no clue what the other percents are but there you go...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Both the British and the Japanese have histories for which to be admired and admonished. What the US did to the Native Americans here is not much different from what the British did to India, for example. That doesn't make it right, but why hold one nation to a higher standard than another? Try reading some World War II histories about the Philippines (google Bataan Death March) and your opinion of the Japanese may be enlightened as well.

We cannot change our history, only learn from it. The Last of the Mohicans is a classic and although a challenge, anyone who esteems to be an English teacher should be well versed in it. Not every book is going to "speak" to you, but like art, you have to learn to appreciate it for what it is and how it has contributed to the literary world. You have to be more open minded if you wish to pursue a liberal arts field.

Oct 22, 2007, 01:50 PM
    *sigh* I suppose your right... I suppose that an english teacher will have had to have read a bunch of classic books huh? I mean there's some classics that really hold my interest! Where the red fern grows was one of the best books ever and my class had that read to me when I was in forth grade! And I love Shakesphere and Edgar Allen Poe... but some "classic" books and stories just seem so bland to me... or just confuse the hell out of me >.<. I am never going to understand Animal Farm... I mean I get the moral... but... wow... that was a hard book to follow.

Oct 22, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Boy are you misinformed. While there is much nobility about Japanese history, there is a great deal to be ashamed of. Japan had a very strict caste system (did you know a samuri could just behead a peasant on a whim?). FDR was right when he called Pearl Harbor a day that "will live in infamy". The same thing goes for the UK. Along with the Magna Carta we have the oppression if India, South Africa, the aborigine in Australia and more.

This doesn't mean the US is blameless just that it was typical of the of the colonial imperialism of the 18th and 19th centuries. There is much to be proud of in the american spirit that created and built itself on a document like the Constitution. A document that has been emulated but never quite duplicated in more than 200 years. The pioneer spirit that built this nation despite some extreme hardships.

You need to really understand world history before you can denigrate US history compared to that of other countries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I become a teacher? [ 17 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I want to do so many things in life but now I'm thinking, maybe I should be a teacher? I love kids a lot, and working with them but here's the thing. I want to have a job , that I will enjoy. My questions are: How many years of college do you need to become a...

New Teacher [ 7 Answers ]

I will be graduating to be an elementary educator in the Fall of 2008; can any experienced teachers provide me with some tips for first year teachers?:)

Teacher needs help [ 7 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old student with the following characteristics: Volitle.. emotionally, not physically Mild to moderately paranoid Dislikes most people, yet is very sweet and clingy to me No social skills Immature Insecure Gets very loud and emotional Repeats phrases... I hate you... you...

View more questions Search