Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Bot "Attacking" My Web Site
    Hi all,

I've recently been working on my web site. As part of this site I have a shoutbox (on front page) and a contact me page. The contact me page creates an email and sends that off using PHP.

Anyway, if you take a look at the page and view the shoutbox, I have a load of rubbish in there along the lines of :

[email protected]: [email protected]
    [email protected]: which Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Subject: they can legally do bcc: [email protected] 5b2c959e57b25e33185e53c085d40d9c .
    in Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" M: [email protected]
    th Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" M: [email protected]
    [email protected]: f Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Subject: that r. hostrup said the man and that horrible grinning bcc: [email protected] d7221215917a2652967e23750023c719 .
    [email protected]: [email protected]
    [email protected]: was
    I'm also getting emails from my contact page with the same kind of rubbish - emails from some random name, followed by @LTheobald.co.uk (my domain). These emails will either contain just another address or the kind of rubbish above.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I've obviously got to find out what this is to try and find the best way to stop it from happening.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 6, 2005, 04:34 AM
    Looks kind of nasty, it may just be an e-mail spider harvesting all addresses it can find.

Hopefulyy that's all it is.
    Obviously don't follow any of the URL's that get mailed to you as they may be very nasty indeed.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2005, 02:02 AM
    I haven't got any spam though yet so if it is taking my emails - it's doing a damn poor job :) I think I found a solution for this anyway - some code to put in my .htaccess that will stop various bots.

Cheers for the advice though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search