Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 1, 2005, 03:32 AM
    Country codes
    Who decided on the country dialling codes?
    When were these brought in?
    How were they decided?

Country code +44 UK
    Country code +91 India

etc...
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2005, 03:45 AM
    This sounds like your homework so don't expect us to reply with a 2,500 word essay that you can hand in. Use Google or another search engine to find what you need - it's not hard.

This should get you started:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/codes/country.htm
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Nov 2, 2005, 12:59 AM
    Thank you for your kind words.

However, at nearly 50 years of age, homework is the last thing I have to do.

It's just something that I wanted to know how the codes were calculated. Weird, I know, but I'm full of useless information like this. It's useless until someone wants to know.

Thanks again, you've made my day! :D
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2005, 01:46 AM
    Ha ha :D

Sorry about that! It was just such a random question, it screamed out homework to me. Either way - I couldn't find much on my quick internet search anyway.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2005, 10:47 AM
    The continued saga of more useless information...
    Ok, colb. - if you say so... In any case, to feed your perserse, but interesting question... the International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative Committee (CCITT, circa 1960) setup the original international lists (e.g. red, blue, white books, etc) which were later changed (& presently governed) by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) standards organization (E.161, E.164, etc).

I suspect is was modeled after US/Canada's NANP (North American Numbering Plan) which included the area code (aka NPA) & local (7) digit designations, which precedes the CCITT/ITU standards by 20 years.
    (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU-T)

Ok, now my turn at perversity. Anyone want to take a stab at guessing the history of GETS :confused: ? Hint: is also deals with (US) telephony...

Enjoy... :D

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    Who decided on the country dialling codes?
    When were these brought in?
    How were they decided?

Country code +44 UK
    Country code +91 India

etc...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TV Codes... [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I have this Hampton Bay Universal Video and Fan Remote, but when I put in these new batteries for it, it seems to have lost whatever code I gave it that told it what kind of TV I had, and I can't seem to find my manual for it, so does anyone have the manual that says what code I need to give...

Country name change [ 1 Answers ]

What brought about the name chage from Persia to Iran in 1932?

Sovereignty of a country [ 5 Answers ]

Errrr, I'm in a debate competition and the motion of the debate is ' This house believes that the sovereignty of a country depends on a strong economy rather than a strong military' I'm on the opposition team and I seriously don't know what to say. Please help. I need to know why the...

Country [ 1 Answers ]

Howdy, I was just wonder'n if you know of any country concertsthat are coming up in the seattle area?! (Like Tim Mcgraw, Faith Hill, Kenny Cheasney, Martina Mcbride, and others) thanks for your help:)

Printer Codes [ 2 Answers ]

>:( Does anyone know what a flashing printer code 1, 10 Means on a Lexmark Medley 4C? Lexmark has dropped support for this old combo. Roy Randall Randall Electronics

View more questions Search