Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GESTO Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2003, 11:45 AM
    Trojan horse
    I am running Outlook Express 6 on my Dell PC and have picked up a virus listed as c:\DOWNLOAD.EXE TROJAN HORSE.

It has totally dis-abled "WORD" and despite uninstallinig it and re-installing it from a CD ROM I still can't get "WORD" to run.

There must be millions out there with this problem. Can anyone help please?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 18, 2003, 01:13 PM
    trojan horse
    How did you detect the virus? Did a virus scanner such as McAfee or Symantec (Norton) pick it up? If so, there should be a "repair" or at least a "quarantine" option. You must get rid of the trojan horse at any cost, even if you have to wipe your hard drive. You can't leave it there to do whetever it wants. (Note it might be monitoring everything you do.)

A few things to watch out for in the future (in no particular order) :) :) :) ;D

1) Always have an "active" virus scanner running that monitors your system.

2) Never "guess" a web address. If you don't know the website address, try searching for it in Google. If you just guess, you may end up at a virus site.

3) Watch out for "download our FREE 10 second download" pop-up messages in internet explorer. They are almost certainly spyware and maybe even more malicious than that.

4) Don't execute suspicious e-mail attachments

Of course, there is always the old "don't use windows, internet explorer, or outlook because they are full of security holes and get attacked most often," but if you really like outlook ;D , you shouldn't stop using it because of that.

~psi42

Aug 19, 2003, 01:33 AM
    trojan horse
    Thanks for your lucid reply.

The virus was picked up by AVG

Yes, I believe I have got rid of it by deleting the file c:\download.exe Trojan Horse. I then removed it from the re-cycle bin.

The problem with WORD remains and that, I think, is where I need help.

Kind regards.

Gesto

Aug 19, 2003, 07:55 AM
    trojan horse
    Hmm I hate to say this but it is very possible that the trojan included more than just one file, and probably is also in your registry.

You should try and use AVG to remove it.

Do you remember the name of the trojan horse?

~psi42

Aug 19, 2003, 11:44 AM
    trojan horse
    Oh Dear,

I have upgraded from AVG6 (free) to AVG7, which tells me that having run a complete test there are no viruses.

I have e.mailed to AVG just now asking them for their advice. The name of TROJAN HORSE in full was:

c:\DLOAD.EXE Trojan Horse Downloader.Small.AD

As before many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Aug 19, 2003, 03:38 PM
    trojan horse
    Well, I can't find any good information on this trojan... Possibly other virus scanners have different names for it, and so it doesn't show up in their virus dictionaries.

If AVG said no viruses, maybe it was only one file. Hopefully the AVG e-mail will shed some more light on the subject. :)

But Word still isn't working...
    I'm afraid that will be difficult to troubleshoot. Do you get any error messages?

In any case, until you get Word to work, you will probably need another word processor. You can get one here.

I suppose you have three options:

1) Repartition the hard drive, and reinstall your operating system. This will almost certainly get rid of the virus once and for all, but you will lose all data on the hard drive. :(

2) Wait for the e-mail response from AVG. Hopefully they will have a great deal of information for you. If they can't help, get another antivirus program.

3) Do nothing.

I recommend you don't do any online shopping until you know more about this trojan or are certain it is destroyed.

Hope this helps... :)
    ~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Built Horse [ 1 Answers ]

Blade engage goes off after 3or4 seconds. I must turn off and start again, 3or4 seconds goes off again.

18 horse Briggs twin 2 [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model riding mower w/an 18 horse briggs twin II and I Rebuilt the carb and it ran fine for a little while but now it seems like It is starving for gas! It has spark! Can anyone help me Thanks Bill:

Trojan Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know too much about computers, but I have AVG free for virus control on my PC and in the virus vault it says there is two trojan horse exploits? How do I get these off my computer completely so they aren't even stored in the virus vault? How does one get these viruses?

A camel is horse designed by committee [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know the origin of the saying, "A camel is horse designed by committee"?

Toragn horse Downloader.dyfica 2.AB [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I got torgan exe file in my system and I run AVG ant-virus software too many too many times but it is not able to remove. Anybody can tell me how to remove this virus from my system.

View more questions Search