Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2005, 06:44 PM
    Dog sleeping in our bed?
    My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I don't know why we did but we did. We decided that this is probably not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At 4am I noticed him on our bed snoring. I did not have heart to tell him to get off. Now when he is home he will go to our room and sleep on the bed not getting up for anything (noise, when we call him, nothing). Friday night I was home with him and he was there for 6 hours sleeping. Is this a problem or can it lead to problem? We really don't mind him sleeping with us as long as it won't raise any behavioural issues later. And should we let him in our bed when we are not sleeping?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2005, 07:10 PM
    As long as you are not having status issues, I think it is a matter of personal taste. I have seen other opinions from never to always. Our dogs sleep down stairs in their crate. They aren't allowed on any of the furniture except a beanbag chair. I have friends that allow their dogs to sleep with them. Sleeping in the bed is a big issue to a dog. The top dogs always get the best spots to sleep.
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2005, 07:16 PM
    Thanks labman, are you able to look at the pics I posted on the other thread and let me know what you think of my dog's weight issues
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2005, 08:10 PM
    He looked like he was enjoying the water in the one. Can't get too good of a look at him. Sign of a great photographer, is one that can take good pictures of a black Lab. Certainly no big problem. Gave my 12 year old Aster a chance today, and she jumped right into the river. Didn't stay too long, about in the 50's here today.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 05:03 AM
    Dog in bed
    Hi,
    As in another post, it's up to you if you want your dog sleeping in your bed. Many, many people do it; some even sleep close to their dog(s), like for back support.
    If you decide you don't want to, then be firm with the dog. Every time it gets on your bed, put it off, tell it "No", very firm.
    It will soon get the message.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Nov 1, 2005, 05:14 PM
    This is a cute thread. In our house ALL dogs except the two puppies are allowed to sleep wherever they want. They choose our bed. :eek:
    They are kept clean and we love them. The puppies were waking me up too early with their kisses, so they get to sleep together in their own kennel. The furniture is fair game, too, except again for the doxies... they aren't allowed to jump up... not good for their backs. Wish I'd enforced this rule 5 dachshunds ago. Time to build a ramp, I guess.
    whatefr75 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aj55
    My wife and I let our dog sleep with us last week for 3 ngiths in a row. I dont know why we did but we did. We decided that this is prolly not a good idea for many reasons (Hygene, Top Dog Status). So we decided to say No last night and he slept on the floor in our room like he usually does. At 4am i noticed him on our bed snoring. I did not have heart to tell him to get off. Now when he is home he will go to our room and sleep on the bed not getting up for anything (noise, when we call him, nothing). Friday night i was home with him and he was there for 6 hours sleeping. Is this a problem or can it lead to problem? We really dont mind him sleeping with us as long as it wont raise any behavioural issues later. And should we let him in our bed when we are not sleeping?

My dog Alex sleeps with us and we love it! Don't get me wrong, it was hard to get used to at first. We have a queen size bed and he is a 70lb. Lab/border collie mix. He loves being with "mommy and daddy" and I actually prefer to have him with us. I feel more secure with him there vs. in the cage since he can hear noises we can't. He also keeps my toesies warm and can be good support for my back. As long as your dogs are somewhat clean, there is no problem in my eyes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Since all the lawyers are sleeping [ 7 Answers ]

My original question was not getting any play. So instead I will just say Hello,I am new to this sight and it seems a very comfortable and interesting place to visit. Hope to be of some help and maybe get some in return.speak to you all soon.Steve G:

Do I have a sleeping disorder? [ 21 Answers ]

Im am so tired these days. Im having problems sleeping at night no matter how tired I am. It doesn't happen every night but at least twice a week. I have to be up Mon - Fri at 7.30am, and some days at work I still feel asleep. I don't believe I have anything on my mind keeping me up, but I...

Child sleeping with lab [ 2 Answers ]

My little nephew and niece (ages 4 and 6), are coming to live with my husband and I, as their parents have died. We are adopting them. They have pets that they are bringing along, who will also be integrated into our family - 2 guinea pigs and an 18 month old chocolate lab. We already have a 2 and...

Sleeping issues... again? :eek: [ 6 Answers ]

It's me again with a sleeping issue question. Although, this time it's not about nutrition... I'm with my girl for 5 and a half months now. We like each other a lot, have great respect for one another and enjoy our time together a lot. We can talk about everything and I'm not shy about telling...

Is my puppy sleeping too much? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund puppy that is about 8 weeks old. We have only had him two days, but he sure does sleep a lot. When he is awake he is playful, but not like other large breed puppies I have had. Should I be worried? I made an appt. with the vet in about two weeks... should I try to move it...

View more questions Search