Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smorg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Back muscle spasms/tickling
    Ever since I was a child, I've had areas on my back which, whenever they were poked or massaged, would create an overwhelming tickling sensation and make me involuntarily arch and pull away. I cannot find any information on this anywhere throughout the internet and am beginning to wonder if it's rarer than I'd thought.
    The main points of problem are directly on either side of my spine, especially down near my hips, right inside where the waist curves in; It's also prominent below my shoulder blades, right about at the bra line.

What is this? Can it all be symptoms of tight muscles or a pinched nerve?

It's beginning to cause problems, such as when my partner and I are asleep together and his elbow is pressing into my back. I do not enjoy waking up angry and frustrated with him!

Many thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 09:49 PM
    I am no expert, but I don't see it as a problem. I have always had areas on my back that are ultra sensitive. Particularly, as you mentioned the lower back area.

I've always attributed this to being an area that, during a normal day, doesn't frequently get contacted. The "tolerance" was never questioned so the nerves remained alert.

With more frequent touch or contact, the areas will become less reflexive. You should talk to your partner and include both of you in your "therapy".
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 10:26 PM
    I agree with CaptainRich. I have the same sensitivity. Sometimes when people try to give me a back massage it backfires (so to speak). Very unpleasant. It's not a pinched nerve, as I have had spine doctors get the reaction and they didn't think anything of it.

And ask your partner to quit elbowing you in the back. You need your sleep!
    Asking
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 06:44 AM
    A chiropractor COULD help diagnose this, they deal closely with all aspects of the spine.

Massage therapy also could help, it might be highly sensitive due to.. a lot of things?

If it is problematic enough, seek professional help.
    subliculous Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
    Hello. I have the same problem, and I also get it when a fly or bee buzzes near my ear. I think it might be some neurological leftover related to when we had tails millions of years ago.
    Kittenmittens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
    I have this same problem especially on my shoulder blades and down each side of my spine. And I also get the same feeling when a bug flys past my ear. I am currently in school for massage therapy and my teacher has never see anyone with this problem, so I am pretty sure it's rare. I had myofascial work on my back for the second time today and I felt a slight difference in my tickle response. Deep tissue massage may help treat this. Still I have no idea why this happens..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leg spasms [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 62 year old female and in very good health except for this one problem that no one understands. I have been having leg spasms for over 10 years now, not cramps, but leg spasms. When this happens, I cannot move at all and the pain just consumes me. I take Quinne Sulfate for the past 4...

Right side/back pain/spasms [ 6 Answers ]

I have been experiencing severe right side side that continues around to my back. It is fairly constant pain 24/7 but increases when I lie down. If I touch or put any pressure on the area I am in severe pain and starts up a about of spasms. I have been to my doctor several times about this and...

Muscle Spasms in leg [ 8 Answers ]

I am 66yrs. Old and relatively healthy. I started having muscle spasms in my left leg for no apparent reason. My MD gave me a muscle relaxant which helped the problem but they made me very sleepy. They stopped but have come back. They are very painful and I can hardly walk. Any advice as to...

Muscle spasms in legs and arms [ 4 Answers ]

Both my legs and arms (mostly my left arm and right leg) have muscle spasms where it causes the skin that is close to the bone or just the skin to feel tight and it feels as if the muscles are ripping or contracting. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do? Edit: you can move this to the...

Seizures or muscle spasms in Dashund [ 3 Answers ]

My 3 year old male dashund is having muscle spasms or seizures about every 2 months or less. Last about 5 to 10 minutes. Anyone have any info about this type of problem?

View more questions Search