Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Oct 30, 2005, 02:31 PM
    ROTH IRA Question
    Hi. Can anyone tell me about penalties and taxes due on a withdrawl from a ROTH IRA at age 58? Account has been open since 1998 when it was rolled over from a 401k and taxes paid on the rollover. Is it just earnings that are taxable? Must you be 59 1/2 to avoid a penalty? Can't seem to get a straight answer to these questions. Don't want to withdraw the entire sum, just need some money to make home repairs. I know all my contributions have been after taxes, but can I withdraw without penalty at age 58? One person tells me that I can withdraw any amount that is not earnings, another person says that withdrawals before age 59 1/2 cause a penalty. Would appreciate any thoughts from someone who knows or can direct me toward the answer. Thank You. Dave.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 31, 2005, 03:02 PM
    Dave231:

It is my understanding that, after the 5-year waiting period (which, based on your input, has passed), you can withdraw whatever amount you want without penalty.

Several of my clients have made such withdrawals with no challenge from the IRS.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Nov 1, 2005, 05:41 PM
    Thank you Atlanta. I appreciate your time and expertise. You've helped me a lot in the past year or so and it's good to know that you're here. Many times I think that I know the answer to tax questions but just need to be assured because of fear of making mistakes. Thanks again. DAVE231.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2005, 01:36 PM
    Glad to help!
    adriana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2005, 05:58 PM
    Roth IRA 2005 amount
    I would like to get a simple calculation. IRS rules are hard to decipher!
    1) I am 64, married.
    2) I am still full time employed. My income is around $86,000 +/- $1,000.
    3) My wife has retired and gets from SS $518 a month.
    4) I have a pension plan with the company. I also contribute 3%from my salary to a supplementary pension, through company's pension plan.
    5) I have 401K with the company, where I contribute 6% from my salary. No matching contribution.
    6) We filled a joint return every year.
    7) No other income in the family, no other dependents.

Can I open a Roth IRA account? If yes, what is the maximum contribution for year 2005? What would be for year 2006?
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 4, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Adriana:

Yes, you can open an Roth IRA for both yourself and your wife. Your combined income is well below the amount which prevents Roth IRA contributions.

For 2005, you can contribute $4,500 for each, for a total of $9,000. I believe it is the same for 2006, but I would have to check to be sure. In 2007, it will go up to $5,500 each, for a total of $11,000.

You can contribute to Roth IRAs for each of you as long as you have earned income at least as much as the contribution. There is no age limit for a Roth IRA.
    adriana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Thank you.
    I hope that this example may help other people to understand the limits for a Roth IRA.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 5, 2005, 04:03 PM
    To Whom It May Concern:

The $4,500 annual limit on Roth IRA for Adriana was because both he and his spouse are over age 50.

For those under 50, the limit is $4,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

Roth Ira Transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to open a Roth IRA 6 Month CD account. After the CD matures, how do I move the funds to another Bank if the rates are better elsewhere without triggering a taxable/penalty event? Thank you , Rich

Roth IRA Limits [ 1 Answers ]

I contribute to a Roth IRA currently. The amount I contribute is reduced based on my AGI. I have been able in the past to compute the max amount I'm allowed to contribute. However, I plan on getting married this year and I am trying to figure just how this will impact my/our contributions to the...

Roth IRA Question [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether I can continue to contribute to a Roth IRA while I am collecting unemployment benefits? Hopefully it won't be for long. Am still paying taxes on unemployment benefit check.

View more questions Search