Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shaza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
    Electric showers
    My old shower broke it was a 7.5kw,can I buy a 8.5kw or higher and connect it to the plumbig/electrical supply already in place? Could someone tell me what kw means,is it electric or pressure term. :confused:
    shaza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 12:17 PM
    [QUOTE=shaza]my old shower broke it was a 7.5kw,can I buy a 8.5kw or higher and connect it to the plumbig/electrical supply already in place? Could someone tell me what kw means,is it electric or pressure term. :confused:if someone could answer my question I would then be able to do the job myself
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2005, 12:40 PM
    One KW Kilowatt equals 1000 watts

Assuming USA codes and 240 volts-

7.5KW @ 240 volts= 31.25 amps
    8.5KW @ 240 volts= 35.41 amps

The 7.5 KW unit should have at least #8 AWG wire feeding it.
    The 8.5KW unit rises the amperage above the limit for #8 wire, and must be wired with #6 AWG wire.

Get back with more details of the existing installation and conditions and we can help further.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 08:25 AM
    Listen toTKRussel, he's the resident electrical expert and he's sharp.
    As a plumber I can see no problems with changing over the shower valve supply wise. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Showers backed up [ 1 Answers ]

While I was taking a shower last night, my wife flushed the toilet in our other bathroom and the toilet in the bathroom I was in started gurgling. After the gurgling stopped the shower would not drain. I used a plunger on the drain in the tub and it would not drain. Now the shower in the other...

J pipe for showers [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a special j pipe for a shower drain? Or do you just use 90 to make the j pipe and if so what are the specs so no sewer gas leaks... Whoa! Not so fast there Markee. That "j pipe" is called a trap. And before I even answer I want to know a little more about this project. New...

Hidden electric showers [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told there is a special electric shower that can be hidden from sight with only the controls and thermostat showing but I don't know where to buy it and what it is called

Electric showers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom,I only found this site yesterday. Can the british showers work in the usa. What about the voltage difference. Or can I find something similar in the usa. Thanks olivia

View more questions Search