Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 11:25 AM
    Hip Pain
    :mad: I have hip pain and walk with a cane.My MD tells me I will need a operation. He told me to lose 50 pounds and have the operation next year. My problem is the pain medication no longer works.He tells me if he gives me anything stronger I would be addicted to drugs. I hope I can find can a natural pain killer that works.Thanks in advance.
    dimples Posts: 256, Reputation: 9

Oct 30, 2005, 11:56 AM
    To lose weight would be a good start since additional weight could increase the burden on your hip. Have you slipped or something? Most strong pain relievers are not OTCs so I do recommend you ask your doctor for a prescription. I do personally think that quality of life is more important & bigger issue than being prescribed some pain killers. That however is just an opinion.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Pain killers
    Hi,
    My wife experiences pain in her lower back, from discs deterioation. Non-narcoctics, like Ultam, Ultracent, Darvocet, are not habit forming. Also, Oxycontin is not habit forming, if taken as directed by a doctor. But, in our local area, no doctors will prescribe that medication anymore, due to drug abusers crushing up the pills, and snorting it up their nose!
    There are many non-narcotic medications with prescriptions that might help you. I would definitely see a different doctor, explain what is happening, and maybe they could help you more.
    Since I don't know what you are taking that doesn't work anymore, it's hard to tell if your doctor is telling you the truth or not, or if he/she really doesn't know. I would definitely see another doctor.
    I do sincerely with you the best. You do not have to go another year with pain. There is a medication that can help you.
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Oct 31, 2005, 02:27 PM
    Before giving any advice may I ask you how old are you and do you suffering from any illness like diabetes mellitus or hypertension?

What type of pain relieving medications do you use ?

Thanks

drali77
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2005, 11:24 PM
    Hip Pain
    Hi Drail I am a male age 48 and with no history of hypertension or diabetes.The hip problem came from a fall.Thanks to all who posted.Fred :)
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Nov 8, 2005, 12:55 PM
    hi,
    thanks for the information
    there are many causes of hip pain due to an injury
    you might have a ligament tear or a capsule inflammation
    it might be a hair line fracture or the ball and socket joint problem
    my best advice is to go to the orthopedic department of your nearby hospital
    have a plain x rays as well as a ct scan to exclude any deformity.
    if you take pain killers they might have some adverse affect like
    ibuprofen has a gastrointestinal beeding effect(rare)
    aspirin causes gastric ulcers
    paracetamol has a toxicity level of 3000mg

so just take a mild pain killer for the time being and first thing in the morning go to the hospital

I am here to give advice to the people so they can raise their health status and live a long happy healty life.

drali77
    trainer0226 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2005, 06:40 PM
    Pain meds
    I see the reason to lose the weight. Most doctors that I have worked with will rotate you through pains so your not taking one med for so long that you get addicted to it. Ask next time about rotation the medication. It can't hurt.
    Bluetooth Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2006, 02:57 PM
    I tell you what mate, if the advise given is to lose weight then just do it.
    It is worth it.
    I have a metal hip. Had the operation a year ago exactly.

As a child I suffered with Perthes disease (crumbling Hip).
    Extremely painful and I suffered this from the age of 7.

I was told by doctors that eventually I would need a new hip and I feel so much better for it now I've had it done.

Ive never been over weight, more like the opposite in fact, advise given at the time was to be careful not to put on too much weight but in fact I can't gain weight that quickly anyway.

Unfortunately as a child my drunken mother was too consumed in alcohol to notice my cries in the night (let me tell you I pleaded with her to take me to the doctor)

However, years went by and eventually she took me. Only to find out that had they have known earlier that they may have been able to treat my hip.

Well anyway, I went through all that pain until January last year and now I feel like a new person.

Hope this is helpful and best of luck.
    Prince03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
    I banged my hip on the counter about a year and a half ago it was bruised pretty good. The pain and bruise went away I continued running, weight training etc. no pain. Come October it was a year the pain came back so I stopped running for a while pain went away. Then I tried running again and the pain came back. It only gets aggravated when I run.
    Prince03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 09:45 AM
    I banged my hip on the counter about a year and a half ago it was bruised pretty good. The pain and bruise went away I continued running, weight training etc. no pain. Come October it was a year the pain came back so I stopped running for a while pain went away. Then I tried running again and the pain came back. It only gets aggravated when I run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hip Pain [ 3 Answers ]

I have been experiencing mild internal pain on right side around hip. My family Doc has done blood and other prelim tests including ultrasound and found nothing alarming. After 2 months it seems it is showing up again with constant pain increasing while coughing, changing position etc. Want to...

Pain after sex [ 3 Answers ]

I'm married, have no kids, and have been having sex now for two and a half years. Up until about 3 months ago, the sex was great, with no pain at all. Then, I would notice that after sex, the inside of my vagina would hurt. Also, the outer area of my vagina swells after sex. I can only have sex...

Pain in the arm... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I wanted to ask that my dad got a pain in his arm from 3 weeks he have seen many doctors but can't get any relief plzz help.. doctorz says that this is a muscle pain.. they gave some gel for agaist pain but there no improvement in the pain its same as it was on first day.. can any body...

Pain after sex [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering why I get horrible pain after being fingered by my b/f ?

Pain: [ 5 Answers ]

What has God done to deal with the evil and pain of the world? HANK :(

View more questions Search