Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    augblue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 03:23 PM
    In response to ljosr : I assume that you have a T-Switch with a 3 prong plug on the front. Mine has a 4 prong plug (red, black, white, green) So, you say if I remove the green wire from my T-Switch front plug, I should be all set? And I will not have an issue with proper grounding? Just what to clarify before I attempt this.

Thanks.
    augblue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 06:31 AM
    This is PKA. This morning I took ljosr's suggestion and removed the GREEN connection from the Front Plug of my 6 Circuit Reliance Controls Pro/Tran Indoor Transfer Switch 20216A. No luck, the furnace is still not working off the Transfer Switch. (I do have power going to it and hear a hum)The other 5 circuits are working fine. It still seems to be some grounding issue (I guess?? ), but I am stuck. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    PKA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 06:34 AM
    This morning I took ljosr's suggestion and removed the GREEN connection from the Front Plug of my 6 Circuit Reliance Controls Pro/Tran Indoor Transfer Switch 20216A. No luck, the furnace is still not working off the Transfer Switch. (I do have power going to it and hear a hum)The other 5 circuits are working fine. It still seems to be some grounding issue (I guess?? ), but I am stuck. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Artman60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 01:49 PM
    I just bought a Honda EU2000i generator and am having a similar problem. The generator is an inverter type generator which was supposed to eliminate these issues. My 25 year old ( came with townhouse) hot air furnace, and 1 year old gas water heater ( power vent, no chimney) won't play nice with my generator. One of my coworkers had this issue and bought a 1200 watt power conditioner ( Tripp Lite lc1200/Amazon $102) and it cured his problem, Mine is due in on Monday, will post if it cures my problem. I set my furnace up on a cord, so it will plug into power conditioner, which will plug into generator during power failures
    Artman60 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 06:28 PM
    Good news and bad news, Bad news is I got to tell the wife another hundred bucks is gone, power conditioner did not work, good news is I ran into the engineering teacher at the school I was working at today, and asked him his opinion. He replied that he thought the people who suggested bonding the neutral and ground of the generator together were correct, and if I was worried about harming the generator, I could put an inline fuse between the two, offering them protection from each other. I did this and my generator ran fine, and the furnace and water heater also ran fine, so I should be in business next power failure. Artie
    Brianwat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Here's the problem: Generators provide a ground that is a different than the House/utility ground. My coleman furnace has a logic board that recognizes that the ground is not the same and won't start up fro that reason. I wish I didn't buy this furnace.
    davechina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 09:08 AM
    I have the same issue: Furnace clicks on - then off. On... then off.. over and over. Sometimes it goes a bit further to the ignite phase but shuts down there, or a little farther at powering up the main fan.

I noticed that with only the furnace connected to power (nothing else running of the generator) it never gets past click on-click off. But if I connect everything I can think of - freezers, lights, fans, neighbors refrigerators connected to external outlets, the furnace boots up normally.

Not knowing anything about electronics I guessed that the when only connecting the furnace, the furnace circuitry senses the full brunt of any fluctuations/surges and stops. When everything else is connected too, the fluctuations/surges are distributed evenly across all the appliances and the furnace isn't so annoyed. Just an uneducated guess.

I have a Briggs & Stratton 7000W with a Reliant 6 circuit switch.

I asked the electrician who installed the transfer switch about this anomaly and he had no clue - suggested running everything to avoid the problem, but I'm not comfortable with that.
    luqui80 Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 01:48 PM
    I'm looking into connecting my Coleman Echelon furnace to a generator as well. So if the generator is connected to the house's electrical panel, wouldn't the ground then become the house's ground and not the generator's ground? I'm looking into getting one of the Interlock Kit's (interlockkit.com) and hoping this would solve the grounding problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant furnace problem [ 20 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a 5 y/o 80% eff bryant furnace. The problem I have is that my furnace Doesn't always kick on even when thew thermostat shows the temp under the Temp set. I will sometimes have to go down and turn of the blower switch on the furnace wait a couple seconds and then turn it on again....

Trane Gas Furnace Problem [ 13 Answers ]

I recently experienced a problem with my heat. I have a programmable thermostat and noticed that the heat wasn't on when it was suppose to be. The temperature was set to 75 but the temperature in the room was only 68. I canceled the program and manually set the temperature again to 75. The heat...

Ashley wood furnace blower problem [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a home with an Ashley wood furnace installed in the basement in tandem with the central heating system . I was told the original owners build the house in the early 80’s and used the furnace regularly. The second owners never used it. I cleaned the furnace and flue and tested the...

Miller trailer furnace problem [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I have a Miller oil furnace in my garage that burns very dark orange and sooty. It also keeps burning inside after the unit shuts down. I have replaced the nozzle twice with no change. The flue from the top of the unit all the way through the roof is clear. Any ideas??

Furnace blower motor problem [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help with a non-working furnace in Colorado. The furnace is an 1988 “Inter-City Products” induced draft furnace in our crawlspace. I thought I smelled a slight burning smell from a vent a day or so before the furnace stopped working. A day or so later, I noticed there was no heat. I...

View more questions Search