Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cverga Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Bathroom Exhaust Fan Installation
    I'm planning on installing an exhaust fan in my bathroom and I have a question about venting the air out of the house. I have read that normally you would vent the exhaust up and out the roof or sideways out the side of the house or soffit. Due to the location of the bathroom and set-up of the house I would have to vent the exhaust down then sideways and out the side of the house. Is there any problem with doing it this way? I have not been able to find any information talking about it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 09:53 AM
    The goal is to get the warm, moist air outside the building and from what you say this should work. Some installers and builder run the vents to the attic or to the soffits and this is just very bad workmanship. Venting a bath to the soffit, which is designed to allow air into the attic, just pulls moisture inside.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
    I agree with ballengerb1 100% get it to the outside if you can. Most clothes dryers vent down and then horizontal and work great so why not a bathroom exhaust.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:26 PM
    Just be careful. Water may collect at the lowest point. Say you ran galvanized pipe up, across, down and out. Water could seep out of the elbow into places you don't want it to be.
    Also make sure the one way doors are used to keep critters out and air from outside, outside.
    Bobbieblue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
    I'm installing a Dundas.Jafine soffit exhaust vent in the soffit of my house. With the hole cut in the soffit and access to the attic opened, I only have a 3" opening in order to get past the framing at the edge of the roof (inside the attic). Is there a flexible or collapsible venting that can be compressed to get through the 3" space available then expand back to 4" to the exhaust fan?
    I can't do anything right now so the attic is open, the holes are cut but installation has come to a standstill. Any suggestions? Would appreciate any help you'd care to offer. Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2012, 09:53 PM
    3" space is kinda undefined. 3" x 16", 3" dia, whatever.

Suggestion:

Get something custom made. Try to keep the cross-sectional area the same.

or Maybe 3" flex PVC will work?

Product Listing Flex PVC By The Foot White

Lots of details or pics are missing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom exhaust fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just replaced the bathroom exhaust fan motor assembly which is the fan motor, squirrel cage, and mounting plate. I did this because the fan is about 25 years old. The bathroom is only 36 square feet with 8 foot ceiling and the new fan motor is rated at 100 cfm. The thing is that the fan does not...

Exhaust fan in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a new bath and would like to know if code requires an Exhaust fan in bathroom.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to wire an exhaust fan to an bathroom light switch; how do I go about doing this project. The existing light switch is a single pole, and I assume I will need to install another double box for two (2) switches - one for the existing light and the other for the NEW exhaust fan. ...

Connecting bathroom exhaust fan [ 2 Answers ]

I presently have a switch in a bathroom with 3 14/2 cables coming into the switch box. The switch only controls a light for the medicine cabinet. All the whites are connected together. Two of the blacks with a pig tale are connected to the bottom screw of the switch. The other black is connected...

Installation of a Bathroom exhaust fan [ 6 Answers ]

My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch. I've pulled a cable from the switch box to a bathroom exhaust fan and wanted to find out how to go about wiring it up. What would normally be a neutral wire (white wire) in this case ends up being the live wire...

View more questions Search