Thermostat -- What is the "X" wire?
    On my old Rheem thermostat there's 7 wires:
    Green - G
    Red - R
    Blue - B
    Yellow - Y
    Brown - X
    White - w2
    White(looks like its just jumped from e to w2).

I have a new honeywell digital thermostat and there's no X hookup on it.
    It has the following hookups but not all need to be used:
    Y2
    L
    E
    AUX/W2
    S1
    S2
    RC
    R
    W / O/B
    Y
    G
    C

So I know that my current:
    G, R, B, Y, and W2 map directly over.
    For e should I jump it from W2, or just not hook it up?
    And X I have no clue at all. It looks like it either goes to C, RC, S1, S2, L, or Y2
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2005, 02:37 PM
    Most thermostats and HVAC systems stick to the R, W, Y, G, and B for the basic hot, heat, cool, fan, and common. I am not sure if there are conventions for additional functions, 2 stage heating, outside temperature sensors, switching heat pump systems, etc. Best thing to do is to go to the furnace and try to identify what the brown wire was connected to and what it needs. Then, from the directions for the Honeywell thermostat, figure out where to connect it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Programmable Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me here. I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat that was installed by a professional about a year ago. About 3 days ago, the thermostat stopped maintaining a temperature and began dropping. The thermostat is showing HEAT on the display, however, no heat...

"common wire" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier gas/ ac system installed in 1998. I just bought honeywell digital thermastat that requires a "common wire". I have blue, tan, black and orange not being used. How can I test to determine which is "common" ?

View more questions Search