Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    troye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 12:26 PM
    Honeywell thermostat
    I installed a Honeywell CT87A 4447 thermostat this summer. It worked fine with my air conditioning, but I am having a problem with it controlling my furnace. It will turn the furnace on and I can turn the fan on manually, but when set to auto the fan does not come on.

The thermostat has the following terminal designations: (RH, RC, G, Y, W) and I have the following colored wires: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, White. I have connected the Red wire to RH, blue to RC, green to green, yellow to yellow, and white to white. In addition, I have jumped RC an RH.

Can you advise if I should change any connections in order to start my fan automatically? :
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2005, 01:05 PM
    The blue, if used, should be connected to B or C. With both the red and blue connected to RC, I am surprised you didn't blow a fuse or burn out the transformer. If after you remove the blue wire, the fan still doesn't work, check the limit switch that keeps it from coming on until the furnace heats up.
    troye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 01:59 PM
    Seems to have worked

Thanks a million
    Saltyhouse Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
    I have a similar issue with converting from the old round style to a RTHL3550. The difference is instead of a blue wire I have a black wire. I hooked the black wire to the Rc post and used the jumper between rge R and RC. This runs the furnace fine but I have no AC now and the Fan only works in the auto mode. Can you help?
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Mar 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
    Do you have a red wire coming in at the t-stat and if so what is it hooked up to?

Mar 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
    The red wire is attached to the R terminal. I have a black wire that goes to the Rh terminal. I tried swapping these around to no avail.

Mar 26, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Gas furnace, heat pump, heat pump with aux heat?

What are each wires color coming out of the wall?

Mar 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
    The unit is a gas fired boiler with two zones. One goes to a forced air furnace and the other is baseboard heating, It is the forced air furnace that I am having issues with. Thermostat issues.

The wires are white, yellow, green, red and black.

Thanks.

Rick

Mar 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
    I know some Gas furnace guys should be along to get you squared away.

My latitude is too far south in that area.

Mar 30, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Send me some names. I am in Medway, MA.
    Seann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 12:39 PM
    The easiest way is to trace the wires from air handler and get the lables, then match the labels on the stat and wire it up, u also have to set the functions on the stat
    If it's a Heatpump with Auxiliary
    1-5,2-0,6-9,8-9
    Seann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 12:52 PM
    Please don't follow the colours as the Honeywell don't follow any standard colour code

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help w/Replacing Honeywell Thermostat... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've just removed my Honeywell Thermostat and am trying to replace it with a Noma programmable tstat... but am having problems with the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out of the wall - Green, Black, Orange, Red and White, and only 4 posts on the Noma tstat (Green, Red, Yellow and White). ...

Honeywell rth 230B thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Need part no. and location of dealer for replacement filters, as my filter light is on. Also need instructions on replacing.

Honeywell thermostat only blowing hot air [ 1 Answers ]

I installed the Honeywell RTH230B in the fall and just switched to air except it only blows out hot air. I have a five wire set up but don't know where to put the extra blue wire. It is not displayed in the setup. Actually I just noticed there are for additional wires, blue, black, brown and...

HoneyWell Thermostat Miracle [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a home that was built back in the 1960s. I am thinking this furnace is probably the original (LOL) My wife and I decided to re-texture and repaint the walls in our living room just two weekends ago. After painting the walls white, that gold colored thermostat stood out like a soar...

Set RTH230B Honeywell thermostat [ 0 Answers ]

I recently bought a Honeywell RTH230B 5-2 programmable thermostat. Having trouble setting it-- Could someone who knows this stuff tell me simple to understand --How to set this thermostat? It keeps going above the temp I have it set on by as much as 4 degrees.

View more questions Search