Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hugo Black Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 08:46 AM
    DWI charge
    My friend insists something put in drink. Touchy current situation in this city between police, district attorney, judge, and the powers that be.

Public defenders pretty uncooperative with her: the more they refuse to talk about their plan, if any, the more she goes crazy, and relives trauma of not being in control of the outcome of her life. She's pretty traumatized and refused a plea bargain and court is set for Nov. 20.

Police say they found her in a totaled car, bleeding, on the side of a highway but never took her to the hospital. She blacked out after signing her name on her credit card slip and woke up four hours later in a police station, chained to a bench.

Because of the judges and public defenders perception towards her very real human response to trauma as "crazy" shouldn't she seek counsel that is familiar in this area?

I think she's being railroaded. All motions for her were denied except Motion for Probable Cause Hearing on Oct. 15, and trial set for Nov. 20.
    Hugo Black Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 08:51 AM
    DWI charge masking date rape crime
    Should she fire public defenders - solve this mystery

On Jan. 26, 2007, my friend was found in a totaled car by the police after leaving a neighborhood bar with a credit card receipt verifying two drinks, and receipt timed at 12:34 when she left.
    She remembers clearly everything until she signed her name on credit card slip, did a half turn to leave, and then blackness, waking up chained to police bench 4 hours later and an officer tells her "There now, act like a lady" They had never taken her to a hospital. She remembers absolutely nothing. She describes it as an immediate "light" going out and "light" coming on.

Police find car at 1:55, first ticket claiming leaving the scene of an accident timed at 1:55 and corresponding police report state she claimed she hit a guard rail. Police state on that same police report that site of accident could not be found but then upon further investigation, they find the guard rail. Police breathalyze and get BAC of .19, leave her in the car, bleeding, until 2:25 when they make the arrest, bring her down to the station. Second breathalyzer at 4:30 at police station, result .18

One week later, she gets tickets for hitting a car on her street at the opposite end at 1:30am that same night.

Medical diagnoses two herniated discs, post traumatic stress disorder. I've seen this beautiful, 50 year old intelligent woman, mother of a college student, reduced to a traumatized, anxious individual.

Motions denied:

Motion to Dismiss; Motion for a hearing pursuant to VTL Section 1194(2)(f); Motion to Dismiss in the Furtherance of Justice; Motion for Brady Material; Motion to Preclude - CPL Section 710.30; Motion for a Huntley Hearing; Motion for a Sandoval/Ventimiglia/Molineaux Hearing and Disclosure pursuant to CPL Section 240.43;

Motion granted:

Motion for a Probable Cause Hearing on Oct

At Probable Cause Hearing, defendant again requested to speak with public defenders, again they wouldn't discuss case, the witnesses she has, only patronized and brought someone in from the Dept Mental Health.

In front of Judge she says she couldn't stop crying, and he ordered a "Mental Health Outpatient Examination Request", checking the box : " Defendant acted in an irrational manner and appeared out of control during arrest and/or Court procedure. CPL 390.30 Evaluation is being requested to determine if the defendant is presently an immediate danger to the community." Defendant turned down Plea Bargain and her Interview with Mental Health Dept. is to be on Oct. 23, 2007

My friend has been going to the Crime Victims Assistance since Feb. 26, 2007 once and sometimes twice a week.

On police reports, first ticket at 1:55 for leaving the scene of an accident that hadn't been discovered yet.
    On other police report, they claim accident at 2:25

Climate of this city in upstate New York:

Two bars just raided by District Attorney and his detective (who was formerly suspended from city police for whistleblowing) using state police. Two girls died in car crash after leaving these two bars in June or July. Allegations in newspaper: city police protecting bars.

Five people in last two years, died in car crashes leaving local bars, one city police officer, one female politician, the two girls (the one driving the daughter of a neighboring police dept.), and a male politician, most involving "guard rails." Two seriously injured: one a former district attorney on her case, and my friend.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Yes she needs a lawyer well versed in this area. But without any toxicology tests she will have a hard time proving she was drugged as will the prosecutors proving she was inebriated.

P.S. Please don't start multiple threads on the same issue. I've merged the two threads.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Hello:

If she has a public defender it's probably because she has no money for a private attorney. Sure, she can fire her PD, however I haven't seen anything in your post that would indicate she should. Just what particularly did they do that wasn't right??

IF she fires them, she's not going to have any choice in who the judge appoints again. If she wants choice, she needs to come up money.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violating probation by getting a dwi [ 3 Answers ]

I am from Iowa and I am currently on probation for a domestic charge, a couple of nights ago I got into a car accident and was charged with a dwi and am scared what is going to happen to me. I was let out that same night so I am not sure if that isa good thing or a bad thing. Does anyone know...

Friend and a DWI [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I were out with some friends 2 weekends ago. We went to dinner and then out for a few drinks afterwards. My husband and I left the bar at about 8:30 pm. 3 other couples and one of our single friends were still there. We went home and went to bed. The next morning we got a message...

DWI in Ny in a Company Car [ 6 Answers ]

Recently, a friend was arrested for a DWI in NY while driving his company car. He has an out of state license and was concerened about his job. Will they find out about the DWI? Should he contact his employer? Any information regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

Concerned with DWI! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DWI on my record and I want to know if on an application when it ask if I have ever been convicted of a crime should I check yes and explain or is it considered a traffic violation. It was a mistake that I used very poor judgement and have no other record of being arrest or traffic...

View more questions Search