Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KelliandJoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
    Young dog having seizures
    We just had our 6 month old beagle nutered Thrusday. Friday he had 2 seizures and today he's had 1. He growled at me today and later at my husband. Copper has been a really great dog, house trained easily, good with the kids. He a little high strung, but we get him lots of exercise and he's doing good. He really scared me today and the vet was no help at all. Gave us anti-bioitics and valium and said IF it was the surgery it MIGHT go away in a few days. If not that, they would try putting him on medicine.
    Can surgery cause dogs to seize? Will they go away? If anyone has any info, please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2005, 12:26 PM
    The vet may not have been much help because there isn't that much he could do. Seizures after surgery aren't common, and sometimes happen without surgery. It may have been more the anesthesia. I wish I could tell you more, but you will just have to see how it goes. If he has any more, call the vet.
    KelliandJoe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2005, 01:57 PM
    Young dog
    Thank you for replying! We were very upset and had called the vet Sat. morning and they wouldn't see Copper even though they were in until 1. My husband went by there to talk to them anyway and asked them if it could be the meds they put him on after the surgery and they said no way, but he asked for info on them anyway and the 3rd side effect on one was seizures so we took him off it (pain med) and started him on the valium and antiboditics they gave us. He did have one more short seizure that evening, but since then he's been OK. Today he is very clear eyed and seems back to himself more.
    I appreciate your taking the time to reply.
    Kelli
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
    I am disappointed in your vet. He should have been aware of the side effects. It is hard for a lay person to judge a vet. Still, you might consider trying another one. Glad Copper is doing better. The father of my daughter's German Shepherd is named Copper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Young Father [ 9 Answers ]

Hey my name is sam am 17 year old lad from northern ireland,my girlfriend came to me 1 day at a normal hospital check up and told me she was pregnant at first I was shocked but excited. Now I need some help I started going out with this girl on the last Saturday in August I had sex with her that...

Daschund Seizures, I think [ 1 Answers ]

My dog zeek, has been acting really odd lately he lays downs and shakes really bad and I can't get him to get up or move but his eyes are responsive, just curious if anyone knows if this may be a seizure... I really don't have the money to go to the vet right away... and I'm really worried so any...

Dog seizures [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old dog who has siesures appox every 3 to 4 months anyone have any idear to what coarses them and any medication I could try.thanks freda

Mini Daschund Having Seizures [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 5 yr old male, mini daschund who has recently started having seizures. I'm not familiar with the breed and actually didn't acquire him until he was 4 yrs and from a stranger so I don't know his history. Are seizures a common medical condition for this breed?

Help pet with seizures [ 4 Answers ]

I have A 3 year old male St. Bernard who 6 months ago had a seizure we took him to the vet. They said they would put him on medication but it would cause bad kidney problems so we brought him home and he seem to be doing well intill 1 month ago when he had a lot of seizures and then the vet. Told...

View more questions Search