Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glenmere Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 08:16 AM
    USB Device
    I have a Western Digital external 160 gig Hd drive connected to my PC through a USB2 port. I'm running WinXP Home. For over a year the drive's been working fine. Recently for some unknown reason, the drive no longer appears in Windows under MY COMPUTER nor it is listed in the Windows Explorer so I can't access any of the files on it. I've checked the Control Panel under SYSTEM/HARDWARE for any disabilities under the USB controllers, but they're all working fine. The particular entry where the Ext. HD is listed tells me the device is working properly. Yet, it isn't recognized in MY COMPUTER where all the other drives show up. I've checked: all the other devices connected to the USB ports, switched them around, changed cables, uninstalled and reinstalled the device's driver, removed all the other devices in case there was a USB power problem, but still nothing helps.

Can anyone suggest a solution or anything else I should try? Thanks, John
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2005, 08:38 AM
    The only time I had add the same problem is when I installed a utility, I think it was TweakUI, where you can put a checkmark beside the drive letters that you allow on your computer. When I added a hard drive I couldn't see it because I had not allowed a F: to be seen due to that utility; once unchecked (actually I believe I uninstalled the utility later) I was OK.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 28, 2005, 08:39 AM
    I also have an external hard drive and this occasionally happens. First I reboot. Usually that fixes it. If it doesn't, I'll unplug the cables from the drive, shut down, then replug them in and reboot. Sometimes I have to do this a couple of times.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Did you try the drive on another PC to see if it works there? Try rebooting with the drive unplugged, then shut down and plug it back in and reboot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I/O device error [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba Qosmio G15-AV501 laptop with a built in SD card reader. I can not copy files to the card. I get a I/O device error. Through control panel I have remove the device and reinstalled the device. Removed the driver and reinstalled the driver. Still does not work. Any suggestions?...

Device drivers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a few questions related to device drivers and Input/Output: Q1: What is a "bus header"? (for example there are USB bus headers and PCI bus headers) Q2: Consider the instruction set of a microprocessor - consider the OUT instruction which sends some data over a bus to a specified...

USB Device not recognized [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 laptops Toshiba : one is a PORTEGE 7200 and the other Tecra 8000. Both worked perfectly with a USB Wireless adapter Linksys WUSB54G on Windows 2000 until last week. After I installed Windows XP professional, both stopped recognizing the USB wireless adapter. I have "USB Device not...

Device manager [ 4 Answers ]

I know now a little about IRQs and DMAs but I'm having problems about what IOs do. Thank you

View more questions Search