Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phildesign Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 09:37 PM
    UL certification advice regarding power strips
    I'm currently in the process of developing a product that incorporates a power strip. The power strip is housed (encased) but physically not altered. If the power strip is UL certified, would my new product need to be recertified anyway or would the UL approval transfer to my product.
    What are the limitations with regards to power strip modification and maintaining UL certification?
    Where can I find specific information on this topic?

Thank you
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Oct 28, 2005, 03:06 AM
    My understanding of UL, CSA, CE, VDE or whatever certification you are after is that ANY alteration to an existing approved product negates the certification.

As your product utilises approved parts (without modification) your product would not necessarily receive UL certification.

I manufacture an electrical controller and cannot sell in the US/Canada because the product is not UL approved. All of the contents are UL CSA approved but that does not mean the product is approved.

The last costing I had was approximately 2,000 GBP. I don't make enough or sell enough for that.

With CE certification you are able to self-certify, providing you are able to provide anyone that asks for a technical reference workfile, which contains all of the specs on each individual component.

I am not sure that if you enclose a power strip inside an enclosure that you would require UL approval. You would require UL approval should you have additional UL approved components though.
    Hope this helps.
    phildesign Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 04:59 PM
    This is great help, thanks for the response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furring strips vs walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my basement and have cement block walls. The walls are in OK shape, the floor is uneven in places. The room is about 10 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the rest of the house. I am trying to decide if I should use furring strips to attach my drywall to or build...

Teacher certification on line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Have any of you folks had experience with or investigated teacher certification on line? I like the idea of taking tests and really studying. Plus I went to college for an accumulative 5 years in several countries. Can any of you recommend a recognized program? Thanks! JB

View more questions Search